DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water leaking through foundation.

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Froggieslc 
#1 ·
I noticed some dampness in my basement carpet the other day and chalked it up to the excessive humidity but yesterday there was a puddle and I saw water pouring from two small (maybe 1/2 inch at most) holes in my foundation. I was watering new plants outside above that side of the wall so it was pretty obvious where the water was coming from. I have fixed the wet carpet issue but I don't know what to do about the foundation. It is a cinder block foundation and from the outside you can see some hairline cracks along the joints. Inside is painted so I don't see anything. We have called a few companies but some won't come out because the job is too small. Any advice? I have heard about the hydraulic cement but I don't know how I would get it in such a small hole. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#2 ·
Post some pictures.
The best way to deal with this is to install a french drain and seal the foundation from the outside.

Working gutters, grade sloping away from the foundation, not having flower beds and mulch piled up againt the foundation will go a long way to prevent water from getting in.

Those morter cracks can be cause from hydrostatic pressure building up on the outside of that wall. It can become a very big expencive problum if not dealt with.

#3 ·
As the previous poster said this is best served from the outside. However, there are a few things you can do.
1) grade away from the foundation
2) install downspout extensions
3) get ready for some digging :)
4) to fix the crack dig down and follow the crack down. If you can to the base.
5) get a foam concrete repair kit that can be injected into the crack. Let the ports dry! And read all the directions!
6) get an exterior below grade concrete sealer to round it all out. You could go all out by putting additional panels between the foundation and the grade, but you should be ok as long as the water is directed away from the house.
7) fill the hole and good luck!

#4 ·
From the front of the house towards the street my yard slopes downhill. My neighbor across the street is much lower than my house. We moved in last summer and got hit with a hurricane not long after and the basement was dry (neighbor had 8 inches of water in his basement). I don't have a sump pump that's how dry it it down there. No downspouts near that area and no water entering the house till we started watering the new bush I planted. Because I have a split level only half the basement is below grade. Can you dig out the area without professional assistance?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.