Very Fine, Multiple Cracks - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Very fine, multiple cracks

My driveway is about a year and a half old. To make a long story short, I am almost certain that the concrete guy did not do the base prep that he should have. The problem is is that I am getting very fine cracks on the surface of the two middle sections of the driveway(I took an up close pic of the cracks a few from a little distance to give you a further view). They are barely visible at this point but I know they will eventually get bigger. What can I do at this point to slow down the damage since they are too small to actually put any type of repair material in the cracks. Could I put a skim coat of something on top of the entire section? Weather here should be between 45 and 60 degrees for the next few weeks so I am hoping to get this done before it gets too cold. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Very fine, multiple cracks-20151108_154929.jpg   Very fine, multiple cracks-20151108_154959.jpg   Very fine, multiple cracks-20151108_155018.jpg  
hstanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

It's cracked. I don't think you can do anything about it now.
There's really only two types of concrete slabs... Those that have cracked, and those that haven't cracked yet.
What do you suspect was done wrong in the prep work?
asevereid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
It's cracked. I don't think you can do anything about it now.
There's really only two types of concrete slabs... Those that have cracked, and those that haven't cracked yet.
What do you suspect was done wrong in the prep work?
I was not able to be there the whole time and I am not sure that he put 6" of gravel down. Also, when he was pouring one of the other slabs I told him I did not see him compact the gravel and he said it was "self compacting" and I argued with him that this sounded ridiculous to me (along with several other arguments from him leaving messes to the timeframe,and on and on). It really seemed that he was cutting corners and in over his head from the beginning. I took the recommendation of someone that I didn't know very well and the contractor did not have a lot of history. I honestly went against my better judgement for the sake of saving about $500. He may have did better than expected but my gut tells me he was an amateur.
hstanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Concrete typically develops hairline cracks as it cures. There is little that can be done to prevent it. The usual method of handling hairline cracking is to install control joints every ten feet or so. The control joints allow the concrete to crack at a controlled location, which localizes the cracks in an acceptable place.

I see no evidence that the hairline cracking in your driveway is related to inferior sub-base preparation. Not saying you got the preparation your contract required, but there is nothing in the hairline cracking that demonstrates poor base preparation.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
asevereid (11-08-2015), hstanfield (11-08-2015), stadry (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 04:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,698

'crazing' & random cracking are different,,, random cracking's 1st cause is improper jnt pattern & 2nd's early loading,,, crazing might be too much surface water from finishing, in the conc mix, or from curing altho i suspect you didn't have it water-fogg'd for cure

all concrete is subject to random cracks BUT that's why we have 'control joints' - so conc crks where its supposed to crk, NOT randomly
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,146

COPIED:
One of the most repeated problems in concrete is crazing. A crazed concrete occurs when the surface shows several interconnected fine cracks. Although the concrete strength probably is not affected, cracks will show up when the slab is damp. Crazing of concrete occurs when the cement paste comes up to the surface and it shrinks.
To avoid crazed concrete:
  • Use a moderate slump concrete without bleeding and segregation
  • Do not finish concrete until all water has evaporated
  • Do not dust cement on the surface while water is present at the surface
  • Do not sprinkle water over the concrete while finishing it
  • If the weather could produce high evaporation rates, spray some water onto the subgrade, so it will not absorb the water from the concrete mix
  • Use a broom finish instead of using a steel trowel
  • Cure adequately concrete so it can retain the necessary moisture for the hydration process
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 402

This one appears to be cracked and much cannot be done about it now. The concrete seems to develop hairline cracks and only you can do is prevent it from getting worse. Try the usual method, install control joints every ten feet or so. This will allow the concrete to crack at a controlled location.
fortunerestore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
concrete repair , hairline cracks