Stucco Repair - Brown Coat Applied Less Than 24 Hours After Scratch (see Photos) - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer

Old 05-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 113

Stucco Repair - Brown coat applied less than 24 hours after Scratch (see photos)

If you don't want to read all the details, my questions are this:
  • Doesn't a scratch coat need several days to cure before the brown coat is applied?
  • Shouldn't the scratch coat be 'moist cured'?
  • Is the failure to properly cure the scratch coat likely to result in more stucco cracks in the future?

Here's a bit of background, and photos below:
A friend of mine recently purchased a new 3-story Townhouse in the Los Angeles area. During the rains this winter, water was found to be entering the south wall. There were also a couple large cracks in the stucco on this wall. After extensive water testing, several leaks were found. At least one leak due to a misplaced building-paper staple, and others for unknown reasons.

This week the builder's stucco contractor started demolition of a large area of that wall. The stucco, lath and building paper were all removed.

Yesterday, they applied the scratch coat over the repaired area. They were done at about 2PM. This morning, by 11AM they have already finished applying the brown coat.

Is this ok, or should I ask the builder and stucco contractor for an explanation as to why brown was added so soon after scratch? Any other thoughts on the quality of workmanship based on the photos would also be appreciated.

Photos shown below depict:
  1. Wall after demolition
  2. Wall while building paper and lath were being added
  3. Wall after scratch coat (at 2PM yesterday)
  4. Wall after brown coat (11AM today)

(Click on a photo for a larger version)
Attached Thumbnails
Stucco Repair - Brown coat applied less than 24 hours after Scratch (see photos)-img_0232-large-copy.jpg   Stucco Repair - Brown coat applied less than 24 hours after Scratch (see photos)-img_0335-large-copy.jpg   Stucco Repair - Brown coat applied less than 24 hours after Scratch (see photos)-download_20190503_112829-large-copy.jpg   Stucco Repair - Brown coat applied less than 24 hours after Scratch (see photos)-img_0342-large-copy.jpg  
fritzycat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,670

Re: Stucco Repair - Brown coat applied less than 24 hours after Scratch (see photos)

As for the application of the Stucco as per ASTM C 926 Para. 11.2 Plaster application on Metal Bases, Para. 11.2.1 Apply first coat .
As soon as the first coat becomes firm apply the second coat Para. 11.2.1.2.
Yes it should be moisture cured as per ASTM.
As for the photos in Photo # 2 the paper backing should always be paper over paper & metal lath over metal lath it looks like the paper maybe over the lath which would cause leaks.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClarenceBauer For This Useful Post:
fritzycat1 (05-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #3

Re: Stucco Repair - Brown coat applied less than 24 hours after Scratch (see photos)

Thanks for the ATSM references @ClarenceBaur . I'll track down a copy any make myself more familiar with the specs.

So, it looks like brown coat over scratch less than 24 hours may have been ok (assuming first coat was firm). Builder didn't mention anything to the homeowner about keeping it moist over the weekend - don't know if they plan to come and do that or not.

As for photo #2, they were still working on the lath application. It was already papered (over paper), they just needed to add one last row of lath to the top section and do some more caulking of staples, nails etc. The bottom edge of the paper just happens to be right at the edge of the top of that lath so it does look like paper might be over lath, but it isn't.

Last edited by fritzycat1; 05-03-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #4

New update from my friend - It appears the finish coat of stucco has also been applied today (just not colored yet).

Now, I thought the finish coat wasn't supposed to be moist cured... I'm gonna go check those ATSM specs @ClarenceBauer shared...

Photo end of day - 2PM. Finish coat applied (Same day brown coat was applied):
Attached Thumbnails
Stucco Repair - Brown coat applied less than 24 hours after Scratch (see photos)-img_0346-copy-large-.jpg  

Last edited by fritzycat1; 05-03-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,670

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzycat1 View Post
New update from my friend - It appears the finish coat of stucco has also been applied today (just not colored yet).

Now, I thought the finish coat wasn't supposed to be moist cured... I'm gonna go check those ATSM specs @ClarenceBauer shared...

Photo end of day - 2PM. Finish coat applied (Same day brown coat was applied):
ALL coats of the Stucco should be MOISTURE cured if the humidity is lower than 70%.
stadry likes this.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #6

Thanks again for the information. It's currently 72 degrees and 49% humidity. I sure hope there aren't issues with this repair in the future because they rushed the job.

They're supposed to start testing for water leaks again on Monday (drenching the area of the repair and above with water). I hope going from no moisture to fully saturated doesn't do anything to jeopardize the installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement