Stucco Questions After Patio Overhang Removal - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2017, 01:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 344

Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal

Hi All,

I had my patio overhang taken out but now the house is exposed to the elements. I sealed it up temporarily with some plastic sheeting and gorilla tape.

I have a few questions on repairing this since I've never done stucco work. The vertical studs are still there so I could probably fill the 2 inch gap with some wood, or should I completely stucco over that big gap? Would the best approach be to take out the flashing, fill the gap with more wood, staple some of the black paper, and then cut a strip of mesh and then stucco onto it?

I was thinking I could do my own stucco job to seal the house sooner than later and then take my time and practice on doing textures, or hire a stucco guy for the last part.

Would I need to mix color in the stucco just for the final coat? Or would I actually paint with a roller after the stucco is cured? I know some people apply stucco that is already in the color needed.

Lastly, is this a hard project to take on? My neighbor said he could help me get started. (he seems to have some stucco experience). I'm relatively handy but not an expert at color matching, etc.

Here are some images:

Attached Thumbnails
Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal-img_0135.jpg   Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal-img_0138.png   Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal-img_0157.jpg  
sdrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Re: Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal

It appears that the existing Galvanized flashing is only about 1/4 inch further out than the existing stucco finish if this is true than applying new matching stucco will not work, also check to insure that the stucco above the flashing is on the same plane as that below.
I see the following options:
(1) Install counter flashing under existing apply a stucco band to cover the exposed area & paint to match or paint a trim color.

(2) Install a Synthetic Stucco band texture as desired use colored Synthetic finish color as selected.

(3) Install a wood trim band.
All the above options will require the counter flashing.
If a band is selected it appears that it would be about a 12 inch band & will be about 1 inch proud of existing stucco how would it look.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBauer View Post
It appears that the existing Galvanized flashing is only about 1/4 inch further out than the existing stucco finish if this is true than applying new matching stucco will not work, also check to insure that the stucco above the flashing is on the same plane as that below.
I see the following options:
(1) Install counter flashing under existing apply a stucco band to cover the exposed area & paint to match or paint a trim color.

(2) Install a Synthetic Stucco band texture as desired use colored Synthetic finish color as selected.

(3) Install a wood trim band.
All the above options will require the counter flashing.
If a band is selected it appears that it would be about a 12 inch band & will be about 1 inch proud of existing stucco how would it look.

Thanks for your help. The existing flashing is tucked in just a bit under what I would consider flush except its bowed out in a few locations. I used a straight edge and have provided photos below. The stucco below and above the flashing is on the same plane.

Why would I need to keep that flashing at all or install a different flashing? Wouldn't I be better off removing it and using the black paper and then the mesh or do I actually need flashing?

Also I wonder if I should fill the gap with a piece of 2" wood trim the entire 20ft length and leave the trim wood above it and maybe nail that flashing down where it's bowed?
Attached Thumbnails
Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal-img_0163.jpg   Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal-img_0165.jpg   Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal-1.png  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #4

Reason for keeping the existing flashing is it is directing water out from the stucco above.
Can the existing flashing be removed YES it would require removing the stucco above it as much as about 6 inches. The reason for the 6 inches remove 2 inches to get flashing out than 2 inches to remove wire & stucco than 2 inches to expose wire mesh. Your felt paper must be under the existing paper than new mesh needs installing to exposed wire mesh than stucco.
The stucco below will need removal as above except paper will go over existing.
If you have not repaired stucco before hire a Stucco contractor and make sure he understands the correct repair procedure. Than expect a long crack at the top & bottom. So you don't wind up with a very large patch it is very hard to hide a patch like that in a textured stucco.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Reason for keeping the existing flashing is it is directing water out from the stucco above.
Can the existing flashing be removed YES it would require removing the stucco above it as much as about 6 inches. The reason for the 6 inches remove 2 inches to get flashing out than 2 inches to remove wire & stucco than 2 inches to expose wire mesh. Your felt paper must be under the existing paper than new mesh needs installing to exposed wire mesh than stucco.
The stucco below will need removal as above except paper will go over existing.
If you have not repaired stucco before hire a Stucco contractor and make sure he understands the correct repair procedure. Than expect a long crack at the top & bottom. So you don't wind up with a very large patch it is very hard to hide a patch like that in a textured stucco.

Thanks, I just took more pictures. The existing flashing seems to have a lip that goes in. It is semi loose in some locations without it causing any stucco to really come off. I don't see why I would need to remove 6 inches above and why I should leave the flashing at all?

I am not going to put another patio overhang so why would the flashing need to direct water anywhere if I'm looking to fill that entire section so the entire wall looks uniform after applying texture. Water would never even touch that flashing if the wall was entirely uniform.
Attached Thumbnails
Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal-img_0166.jpg   Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal-img_0167.jpg   Stucco Questions after Patio Overhang removal-img_0168.jpg  
Old 11-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #6

Yes remove the flashing.
Now when you install the new paper can you get it under the upper felt paper?
If you don't remove some stucco how are you going to tie the wire mesh together? Same for lower how do you get the paper over the existing paper? How do you tie the wire mesh to the lower mesh? I can assure you if not done correctly you will have TWO horizontal cracks for water to enter.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes remove the flashing.
Now when you install the new paper can you get it under the upper felt paper?
If you don't remove some stucco how are you going to tie the wire mesh together? Same for lower how do you get the paper over the existing paper? How do you tie the wire mesh to the lower mesh? I can assure you if not done correctly you will have TWO horizontal cracks for water to enter.
Thanks, I understand what you mean about tying the wire mesh above and below and getting the felt paper in the correct placement.

Out of curiosity is this likely a really expensive job? I live in the San Diego region. I could certainly attempt to remove more stucco and tie the wire mesh, etc.. but if it's not an ultra expensive job I might be better off getting someone to do it. I have a whole bunch of inside house projects I need a contractor for and thought maybe I could get good deal if I combined the stucco repair with the other work I have but it seems I should find someone with the best stucco experience for this type of thing because of how visible the area is.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #8

If you find a Stucco man that states he can do interior repairs equally as well as stucco both are going to look bad.
As for cost between the East coast & West coast price could range from about $ 2000.00 to $ 2300.00
Old 11-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #9

Quote:
If you find a Stucco man that states he can do interior repairs equally as well as stucco both are going to look bad.
As for cost between the East coast & West coast price could range from about $ 2000.00 to $ 2300.00
Thanks, I figured it wouldn't be cheap. Darn....

What are the consequences of me taking my super sweet time to do the best job I can myself and it cracks later? Would it cost more for a stucco guy to come and repair that or would it cost the same? If it wouldn't cost any more it's worth me trying this out. The typical handyman would maybe utilize experience to get a job done quicker the first time and some handymen do a great job and some not.. me I am an absolute perfectionist with my own stuff. I've done 50's hotrod car projects, and other house related stuff in the past (the previous home I owned) and I've redone stuff over and over again until it comes out just the way I like it. I'd be a broke handyman if I had to fix other people's houses because I'm willing to redo stuff until it comes out right. I'm wondering if it's worth trying. My time is worth something but that $2k is kind of a lot I would love to use towards something else.

Stupid thing is the previous owner spent so much on that overhang only for me to take it down and then spend a lot on fixing the stucco and part of the roof overhang.

Also, if I need to remove 6 inches to tie into the mesh above, would I use a chisel and hammer to break some of the stucco off? I know to protect that window with a blanket or something when I do that.

Last edited by sdrocker; 11-19-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:10 AM   #10

To remove the existing stucco score the existing stucco @ the 6 inch line using a masonry blade in a circular saw only cut 50% of the thickness of the stucco. Make sure you DO NOT cut the metal Lath. ( mesh )
Remove the stucco from the lath with a hammer leaving the lath & felt paper when stucco is removed cut lath back leaving the 2 inches exposed than install new felt paper under existing upper felt paper. Do the bottom in the same manner only paper will go on top of existing paper. Than cut new lath to fit the opening nail to studs and tie with wire to existing lath. Break the saw cut with a hammer so it is not a straight cut line this will help to reduce cracking. For your stucco mix use a type N mortar mixture I would go with a sanded premix.
Apply a scratch coat of mortar say no thicker than 5/16 inch than a brown coat hold back about 1/8 inch from the existing finish than apply you finish texture to match. To match that finish use a very large paint brush or purchase a masons brush mix a very loose slurry of mortar dash it on with the brush the further away you are the smaller the dashes will be than VERY lightly skim a trowel over the dashes. Practice PRACTICE practice on a sample board. For your lath if you can not find Diamond Mesh lath you can use 20 gauge chicken wire or 1/4 inch hardware cloth ( Rabbit Wire ) In Calif. they use a lot of Jumbo Tec Lath with the paper attached.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #11

Quote:
To remove the existing stucco score the existing stucco @ the 6 inch line using a masonry blade in a circular saw only cut 50% of the thickness of the stucco. Make sure you DO NOT cut the metal Lath. ( mesh )
Remove the stucco from the lath with a hammer leaving the lath & felt paper when stucco is removed cut lath back leaving the 2 inches exposed than install new felt paper under existing upper felt paper. Do the bottom in the same manner only paper will go on top of existing paper. Than cut new lath to fit the opening nail to studs and tie with wire to existing lath. Break the saw cut with a hammer so it is not a straight cut line this will help to reduce cracking. For your stucco mix use a type N mortar mixture I would go with a sanded premix.
Apply a scratch coat of mortar say no thicker than 5/16 inch than a brown coat hold back about 1/8 inch from the existing finish than apply you finish texture to match. To match that finish use a very large paint brush or purchase a masons brush mix a very loose slurry of mortar dash it on with the brush the further away you are the smaller the dashes will be than VERY lightly skim a trowel over the dashes. Practice PRACTICE practice on a sample board. For your lath if you can not find Diamond Mesh lath you can use 20 gauge chicken wire or 1/4 inch hardware cloth ( Rabbit Wire ) In Calif. they use a lot of Jumbo Tec Lath with the paper attached.
Thanks so much for your help. Those are some detailed instructions and I think it's something I could do if I take my time and practice on the last part as you said! Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:55 AM   #12

Quote:
This sounds kind of crazy but I responded to some craigslist ads for people offering Stucco services but only ones that had licensed/insured/bonded companies.

One person said it's possible to just do two inches above and below as long as the paper is good and it could be done in one day. Is that even true?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #13

Yes it can be done in only 2 inches. Only if every thing is perfect and the paper is not torn there are no nails or staples in the last 2 inches and if it was installed correctly the first time NO you can't do it in 2 inches.
As for can it be done in a day YES but than he will have to use a one coat stucco system which will have a very high PSI rating compared to the existing stucco. Two difference PSI ratings will cause cracking.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes it can be done in only 2 inches. Only if every thing is perfect and the paper is not torn there are no nails or staples in the last 2 inches and if it was installed correctly the first time NO you can't do it in 2 inches.
As for can it be done in a day YES but than he will have to use a one coat stucco system which will have a very high PSI rating compared to the existing stucco. Two difference PSI ratings will cause cracking.

Thanks again for your help. I will ask anyone that may do the job exactly what their approach would be. What should I suggest? Remove 6 inches above/below, install lath, and then do a three coat repair (scratch, brown then final texture?)

Last edited by sdrocker; 11-20-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #15

If they can tell you how it will be completed and be water tight & can be done with out cutting out the 6 inches have it all in writing & signed than go for it. As for how many coats? The humidity & temperature at time of application would dictate a two or three coat system. High humidity & low temps indicate a three coat system. Low humidity & high temps a double back would work ok. No matter which system you select MAKE SURE it does not dry but hydrates in other words keep it moist while curing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement