Stone Veneer Panels W/Thinset Over Drywall? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Stone Veneer Panels w/Thinset over Drywall?

Hi thanks in advance for anyone who can perhaps make this topic a little clearer for me. I have two walls in our house that we are going to be adding stone veneer to, it is a stack stone style, no grout joints, 6"x24" panels each approx. 10lbs. both walls are 8' tall. My challenge is both walls are drywalled and painted, I have read some comments suggesting that using thinset and applying the stone direclty to the drywall works fine, others suggesting mesh, scratch coat; I know friends who have done it with plywood and PL adhesive. I have seen the videos of guys using thinset direct over drywall.

Personally the mesh, scratch seems like a pain, the adhesive seems like unnecessary expense (fine if I am charing someone for it but it is DIY right?) -
Driedgeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I believe you will be fine attaching the panels to drywall---scuff sand the paint--use a modified thinset---

If Bud Cline or Jazz Man tell you differently--listen to them----they have more experience with the unusual installations--Mike---
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 298

I put "Z Brick" in my first house,over a painted dry wall[just one wall in kitchen] Never had a problem in the 12 or so years I lived there afterwards.
flhtcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

I am applying the same size stone (6x24), and was wondering how it worked going right on drywall without lathe? Does it matter if your stone is manufactured or natural stone? Thanks
PAPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,232

If you go by the industry standards, you can not apply directly to sheetrock, especially painted sheetrock. I have risked it with thin brick, but they are in a whole other class of wall coverings than thin/fake stone.

The correct way to apply thin stone over sheetrock is to screw (into the studs) 1/4" hardibacker and then thinset to that.
Advertisement