Stamped Concrete Concerns - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jomama45

Old 06-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Stamped Concrete Concerns

Hello,

We had our patio poured yesterday morning (finished about 10AM). It rained pretty hard about 12 hours later and "antiquing" dust was all in the air. They returned this morning and appear to have sealed it (about 24 hours after the initial pour).

They are using Butterfield products. We are not too picky with the colors, but it appears to me that something is off with the secondary color since it's very dark and not just in the crevices.

Does this job look OK, or does it look like they did something wrong.

Thanks!
Steve

CURRENTLY LOOKS LIKE THIS
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...TBSUXVqTHZDLXc

LOOKED LIKE THIS THIS MORNING (AFTER RAIN)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...kJOZTIxOERyb28
longtee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

Re: Stamped Concrete Concerns

Did you use a pigment in the base concrete for a more permanent base to work off of for a more permanent color? I so see some apparent color or texture in the second photo.

Many pigments do not really stain the concrete in a true way. I used several (3 or) semi truck loads of pigments per year and had to maintain uniformity because we had to match our inventory. We never used natural pigments and only synthetic metallic oxides. We never could afford to use anything with carbon black in it because it is not permanent and can wash or wear off.

For a variable small, varigated color on a patio, you have more latitude and don't expect absolute uniformity since the base concrete has a variable toning applied to it.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Did you use a pigment in the base concrete for a more permanent base to work off of for a more permanent color?
Yes, it was my understanding and appears the Concrete was stained throughout in the base color. I wasn't sure if the heavy rain (for about 20 minutes) last night would have caused any issues. It was about 85 degrees most of the afternoon so I would imagine it cured pretty quickly before the rain.

It was definitely a powder on the surface. I touched it yesterday and it was chalky on my finger and during the rain last night it created a lot of dust in the air, so I'm not sure if they would have added more, etc..

Thanks
longtee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 898

I think it looks great.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,042

Looks good to me.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 464

The reason it's darker than you anticipated is because they left alot of the release (the chalky dust you saw flying around in the rain) on it rather than scrubbing/power washing more of it off. It's kind of subjective on how much release to leave on, though.

Two things I wold take larger issue with is what kind of sealer did they use that can be applied 24 hours after pouring and why on Earth couldn't they have shifted the saw joints over a little to fall into the pattern better? The way they sawed it is lazy IMPO.
123pugsy likes this.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement