Room Addition To Concrete/Cinder Block House - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 10-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Room addition to Concrete/Cinder Block House


We just bought a 1962 cinder block house. We plan to add a master bedroom and bath on the side. We plan to use wood framing and board and batten siding on the addition. My questions are:
1. We want to join the new addition to the existing house so that there is no change in depth between the face of the block and the first batten piece. How do we do this and ensure it's a weatherproof seal?
2. Is it ok to butt the concrete trim against the cinder block?
Joe Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 7,578
Rewards Points: 854
Default

Re: Room addition to Concrete/Cinder Block House


Welcome to the forums. Your profile isn't complete so we don't know where you are located. If in Florida or other non-basement locations, have you figured out the plumbing under the new slab, yet? You will need to figure on 8" walls rather than the standard 4 or 6" or you will have an indentation on either the inside or outside. Not that it would be bad for the inside.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,652
Rewards Points: 962
Default

Re: Room addition to Concrete/Cinder Block House


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brooks View Post
We just bought a 1962 cinder block house. We plan to add a master bedroom and bath on the side. We plan to use wood framing and board and batten siding on the addition. My questions are:
1. We want to join the new addition to the existing house so that there is no change in depth between the face of the block and the first batten piece. How do we do this and ensure it's a weatherproof seal?
2. Is it ok to butt the concrete trim against the cinder block?

That would not be the best for water proofing. It would be better if that first batten covered the crack between old and new.
chandler48 likes this.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 1,526
Rewards Points: 84
Default

Re: Room addition to Concrete/Cinder Block House


For your waterproofing sealing check out Construction Specialties. look for VF-100 joint seal. Install this between the CMU & wood framing. Than cover with your batten
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,652
Rewards Points: 962
Default

Re: Room addition to Concrete/Cinder Block House


Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBauer View Post
For your waterproofing sealing check out Construction Specialties. look for VF-100 joint seal. Install this between the CMU & wood framing. Than cover with your batten
How thick is that and would you attach the wood frame to the block thru it?
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 1,526
Rewards Points: 84
Default

Re: Room addition to Concrete/Cinder Block House


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
How thick is that and would you attach the wood frame to the block thru it?
It is a weather tight seal, it is used to seal construction & expansion joints between two types of materials. You can get it in different width & thickness.
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,652
Rewards Points: 962
Default

Re: Room addition to Concrete/Cinder Block House


Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBauer View Post
It is a weather tight seal, it is used to seal construction & expansion joints between two types of materials. You can get it in different width & thickness.
So you could nail or screw thru it. I have not seen it before. It looks like a good product for when you are adding to an older foundation for a water seal.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 2
Default


So the batten over the junction makes sense, but we are not going to continue the battens over the block on the original section. That would not look great. Hence my desire to butt the first batten to the corner. The addition is going to be tied to a comer so wall thickness is not a concerned. Thanks for the ideas
Joe Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,652
Rewards Points: 962
Default

Re: Room addition to Concrete/Cinder Block House


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brooks View Post
So the batten over the junction makes sense, but we are not going to continue the battens over the block on the original section. That would not look great. Hence my desire to butt the first batten to the corner. The addition is going to be tied to a comer so wall thickness is not a concerned. Thanks for the ideas
I am sure it can be sealed, it just that wood can move expand and contract and tends to break caulking loose. So you would want a good plan to deal with it. I guess that is why it was one of the first questions.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts