Problem Concrete Slab? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

problem concrete slab?

A 16X11 slab was poured in my sunroom a couple of months ago and replaced an existing broken up slab that was cut around the parameter about 6 inches from the wall and removed. New concrete was then poured into the removed area to the height of the remaining parameter. My wife who was home overheard the workers mention that the concrete was wet. In any event it looks okay and I'm getting ready to tile. But the top of the concrete remains "dusty" which I understand from reading here that that is a sign of too wet concrete. There are no cracks and I know they used rebar to tie in to the old concrete and put in wire mesh part way through the pour. Is this a suitable surface for tile or should I use some kind of sealer before tiling. Thanks
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,094

If you use a sealer the thin set you use for setting the tile won't be able to attach firmly to the tile. Your best bet would probably be to just watch the surface of the concrete, maybe even using a mild muriatic acid solution (be sure to neutralize it). After this let it set for a week or so to make sure it's completely dry.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,432

too wet means too much mix water = too much bleed water on the surface = dusty weak concrete surface,,, you'll likely need some major prep work prior to tiling - perhaps even a scarifier,,, tile won't stick long to a weak surface
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement