Pre Placing Anchor Bolts In Top Of Wall - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By HotRodx10

Old 05-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 92

pre placing anchor bolts in top of wall

I've got a wall I'm getting ready to pour. 6" concrete in ICF forms. The top of the wall has a ton of bracketry that's mainly attached with anchor bolts. This includes brackets that hold up a few posts, a couple cantilevered beams, and a few bearing plates for steel W-beams. In addition there's a metric sh*t-ton of anchor bolts for the sill plate that goes ontop of the wall.

So the sill plate anchor bolts I'm planning on wet-setting just because it'll let me get the top of the wall really smooth before plopping in the bolts. (8" OC for the sill AB's, so not a lot of room to maneuver a trowel if I were to somehow pre-set them.)

What I'm more concerned with is all the ABs and threaded rods that need to be set in the perfect location and not move during the pour. Is there a general technique for pre-setting these? I was thinking of just a rectangle of OSB with holes in it that hold the ABs in the right place that I tack onto the top of the wall, but I'm a bit worried about making sure the concrete flows under the OSB and is generally flat/smooth.
Rszimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 13,094

Re: pre placing anchor bolts in top of wall

We always put them in last after trowelling. 8" on both sides from a corner

Check your detail, they usually go 36 or 48" on center away from the corner.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
We always put them in last after trowelling. 8" on both sides from a corner

Check your detail, they usually go 36 or 48" on center away from the corner.
Wet setting anchors like that does not meet the code in many places in the US and is definitely not a preferred practice. I agree that it works in most cases and solves some problems if it's allowable.
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 13,094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Wet setting anchors like that does not meet the code in many places in the US and is definitely not a preferred practice. I agree that it works in most cases and solves some problems if it's allowable.
I can not imagine. I would like to see a video of some one pumping concrete around that.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,762

On a small job, we'll wet set them,,,,you have to vibrate them in.

On a larger job, they make (maybe Simpson or any concrete store) J bolt. and allthread tie downs, plastic hangers that tack onto your forms....

you will have to have someone check that they stay vertical,,,but they do pretty well on theit own...and you have everything in place and acurately located before the pour.

Admidedly, they cost money....but are reusable and will adjust for a 6 and 8 stem wall....or shim them in or out for hold down allthreads.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 92

Pre-placing might work for normal spacing or on a slab, but I've got 5/8" ABs at 8" OC and a 12' wall to pour below the bolts. I can't imagine the bolts not getting completely covered in concrete way before I fill the wall if I were to pre-place them.

Actually, my question was less about the ABs at 8" OC for the walls, and more about the very specific bolt patterns that need to stay perfect to mate up with post brackets and bearing plates that sit atop the wall. Those HAVE to be within 1/4" of the world and within 1/8" of each other. Again, I'm thinking about a template of OSB that's pre-positioned, but I'm worried about it getting in the way and about concrete flowing properly under the OSB.
Rszimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,450

we set in wet conc w/templates out of 3/4 or 1/2" ply when setting light poles or sunshade poles b ut we're using either 5/8" or 3/4" galvanized,,, when we built w/icf's, still used template,,, pump in the conc, trowel to top off, then insert L bolts
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:21 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,762

Ya know..... It sounds great to wet set bolts/tie-downs....but sure nice to have located before the pour.

I suppose if you have a dedicated individual to just move around the foundation, and who knows all the specs, can follow the trowel-off man while concrete is still fluid, it works.

But, I don't often find that is the case.... and concrte waits on no one.

If you don't like the plastic standoffs prelocated, go ahead and build a plywood jig/template for your specs....raise it above your finish level....you won't be able to trowel/.vibrate under it worth a darn.

As to pouring splash on the anchors or hold0downs, you'll have plenty of time after the pour to wire brush the threads off.

JMO

Good lucj...
Old 05-22-2020, 11:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 778

Would using a 2x3 on edge work better than the OSB as a template/holder for the bolts, etc.? I would think the 1-1/2" width would be less intrusive and more stable than the OSB. I don't really know; just spitballing.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
HotRodx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement