Paver And Soldier Course Question - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Paver and Soldier Course question

I have base down and compacted for patio pavers. Wife has (now) decided that we should put a soldier course along a couple "unrestrained" sides of the patio. No problem, except the pavers that she wants to use for the soldier course are about .5" thicker than the other pavers. Is this an issue? Can they be bumped further down in bedding sand that much to level out, or should I look for another option? I have a masonry wet saw, and could cut them, but that's a bunch of cutting. Any suggestions?

thanks
rydnlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 44

Re: Paver and Soldier Course question

Put a temporary border like a 4x4 timber where the soldiers will be and lay the field pavers up to it. I would set them with a rubber mallet to compress the sand a bit at this point. Then remove the temporary border and carefully scrape away some of the sand and set the soldier with the mallet.

You should be able to fine tune how much sand to remove so that they come out the same level.

How are you going to keep the 'unretained' soldiers from wandering off in to the grass?
abrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrowning View Post
Put a temporary border like a 4x4 timber where the soldiers will be and lay the field pavers up to it. I would set them with a rubber mallet to compress the sand a bit at this point. Then remove the temporary border and carefully scrape away some of the sand and set the soldier with the mallet.

You should be able to fine tune how much sand to remove so that they come out the same level.

How are you going to keep the 'unretained' soldiers from wandering off in to the grass?

I plan to use the edging restraints that you nail down through base, snugged up against the soldiers. Seems like there would be little sand under the soldier after re-tamping. A half inch is a fair amount to remove. Maybe I should reconsider cutting the excess, or searching for other stone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 44

How thick is your sand layer?

I'd probably look for different pavers before cutting the bottoms off the thick ones.
abrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrowning View Post
How thick is your sand layer?

I'd probably look for different pavers before cutting the bottoms off the thick ones.

Sand will be a fuzz over 1". I don't like the thought of cutting all those. Will probably look for another option. thanks
Old 09-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

More questions!
I found some pavers for the soldier course that looked like a good color contract, and the same thickness as the rest of the stones. The only difference is that they don't have the ridges (or whatever they are) on the sides to provide the consistent gap for joints. Should I still lay them with a space between, or set next to each other? Below is a picture of part of the patio stones with soldier course placed with same gap as other stones. When I put the restraint strip on, how do you keep it snug against pavers if I'm leaving a gap between soldier and stones?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Paver and Soldier Course question-soldiercorner.jpg  
Old 09-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 30

Thanks
BCClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement