Parging Interior Of Brick Wall - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stadry

Old 03-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 48

Parging Interior of Brick Wall

What do folks think about parging over the interior surface of an above-grade structural brick wall? In the case that mortar is deteriorating throughout much of the brick wall, seems like it would be a faster solution than repointing every single joint.

I'm referring to the technique shown at 4:35 in this episode of This Old House:
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/c...rowhouse-blues

Ultimately they end up framing a wall inside of the parged brick, spray insulating, and then putting up blueboard+plaster to finish.

Lots of posts on here about letting brick and stone breathe, especially older brick like in the old Boston and Philadelphia rowhouses. But as long as it can breathe to the exterior, would you think a parge coat like this one cause any issues?
cb_philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 9,862

Re: Parging Interior of Brick Wall

I prefer exposed brick walls myself. Love the look of it.

How bad is the mortar?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,054

tommy doesn't live there OR own it,,, while owner's budgets often dictate mtls/methods, i think tom's reputation influences many decisions,,, i'd feel more comfortable knowing a prof eng had blessed the method,,, whatever you do, treat the outside w/silicone siloxane to wtrproof the brickwork

drilling holes in brick & epoxying in threaded rod's a liteweight method to me when tensile (lateral) movement exists or can be anticipated but that's just my opinion
Windows on Wash likes this.
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

If you waterproof the outside; add the lime-based sacrificial parging to the inside, or vice-versa, Figs. 4, 5, and 6: https://buildingscience.com/document...all-sacrifices

Gary
Old 03-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 48

Some great info - thanks for the replies.

I have not yet taken the plaster down in rooms that I plan to ultimately renovate, so can't comment on the condition of the brick and mortar yet. Still gathering info and taking time to explore options.

I can appreciate the need for the lime-based sacrificial parging. There's a heavy layer on much of the rubble foundation in my basement. Unfortunately, it's already made its sacrifices and I need to do some work to repair it in several places.

Thanks for the links - lots to consider still
cb_philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement