Painting A Basement Floor - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 02-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Painting a basement floor

Hi! I just stumbled across this forum while trying to find some answers about concrete and basements. I am remodeling my basement and was planning on doing some type of painted concrete or epoxy floor. The house is about 60yrs old. There are several areas of the slab that I have tested with a taped down plastic sheet to find that it gets pretty damp. Also, there were some holes in the slab where walls had been demoed. We recently had a ton of rain in a short time and a good bit of water rose up through the holes. I had planned on patching those as a start, but from there, not real sure what to do! I was thinking of using a sealer and then doing the epoxy type floor, but not sure if you can do both or if an epoxy would work with the moisture that is present... Also, not sure on how to prep the floor if I am going to do something like this. There was carpet there at one time so there is a decent amounbt of adhesive and maybe even some type of sealer in some spots. Does anybody have any experience with a similar situation? Thanks
MarkCollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,876

Re: Painting a basement floor

The odds are any paint you put down will fail. Without a moisture barrier and drainage under the slab any moisture that migrates up thru the slab will take the paint with it.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

My original thought was to do a floating vinyl plank floor. I was hesitant about it due to the fear of flooding. Then someone mentioned doing the epoxy coating that way if there is any water issues, you just mop it up. After researching, what you said is what I figured would happen. I am more than open to suggestions as I have no idea what to do at this point. The house will be sold, so I didn't want to invest alot of money into it, however I am not going to do something that will leave the next owner in a bind.
MarkCollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,876

You might get by with a solid concrete stain although if enough water migrates up thru the slab it will also lift off of the concrete. Tile might be an option.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,834

tile ? he's cheap, mark - remember ? IF you acid-stain w/TRUE acid & mineral salts, water won't change the color,,, IF you roll on what mark MAY be referencing, its just another form of paint & opaque - NOT a true translucent stain,,, there are epoxies that will resist moisture but you need to perform rising damp tests - no epoxy will perform w/rates of 5# or more

w/your budget, i'd remove everything in the lower level & leave an used canoe in its place,,, to be certain you don't leave the next owner in a bind, put a paddle in it too
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCollin View Post
Hi! I just stumbled across this forum while trying to find some answers about concrete and basements. I am remodeling my basement and was planning on doing some type of painted concrete or epoxy floor. The house is about 60yrs old. There are several areas of the slab that I have tested with a taped down plastic sheet to find that it gets pretty damp. Also, there were some holes in the slab where walls had been demoed. We recently had a ton of rain in a short time and a good bit of water rose up through the holes. I had planned on patching those as a start, but from there, not real sure what to do! I was thinking of using a sealer and then doing the epoxy type floor, but not sure if you can do both or if an epoxy would work with the moisture that is present... Also, not sure on how to prep the floor if I am going to do something like this. There was carpet there at one time so there is a decent amounbt of adhesive and maybe even some type of sealer in some spots. Does anybody have any experience with a similar situation? Thanks
You need a perimeter drain inside or outside before you spend a penny on the basement.
stick\shift likes this.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,472

I'm with Neal - unless you do something outside to keep the water away from the foundation in the first place, I don't think anything done to the floor will last for any decent period.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:07 AM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
I'm with Neal - unless you do something outside to keep the water away from the foundation in the first place, I don't think anything done to the floor will last for any decent period.
decent period. Is that time or distance for the salesman to get away after the sale.

30/30 warranty, 30 hours or 30 miles.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,834

what i 1st suggested is called 'flood-proof' flooring,,, we install it when floors are susceptible to flooding,,, its not very expensive - MUCH less than the tile suggestion - & has proven to be permanent other than occasional resealing,,, personally, i am getting fed up with neal & stick's snarky attitudes we're charged w/helping the op resolve his issue within a budget - why i thought of the canoe 2nd
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCollin View Post
The house will be sold, so I didn't want to invest alot of money into it, however I am not going to do something that will leave the next owner in a bind.
This is the conundrum when selling a house. The only way is to solve the water problem. But you well know that is not what happens, sellers put lipstick on a pig and the new owner might wind up here asking how to fix what the seller covered up.

You do have to disclose water problems, just like lead and other life safety issues, but many people still don't and risk getting sued. It's up to you how far to disclose, compensate, or fix.

A possible solution is just sand/grind the surface smooth and leave the concrete exposed. Depends how the walls are already finished and whether you have signs of mold or musty, and whether a complete finished basement is truly adding to your selling price.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement