Outdoor Paver Fire Pit With Trim Ring, Fill With Stone Or Sand? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

Outdoor paver fire pit with trim ring, fill with stone or sand?

Hello All,

So last year I had an ideal fire pit installed, hadn't used it until this year and when I had someone over they mentioned that I had to fill the base of the firepit with crushed stone until it got to the steel trim ring or else I'd risk breaking the pavers.

When I checked the site it says: "The fire pit MUST be filled with a graded stone or sand to within 12" of the top or to the bottom of the steel ring."

https://www.idealconcreteblock.com/t...ch%20sheet.pdf

Anyone have any specific stone types that would work well for this? or is sand the way to go?

Thanks
bozack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Re: Outdoor paver fire pit with trim ring, fill with stone or sand?

Opinions vary.

Our fire pit has fire blocks that supports expanded metal grating.

The expanded metal grating allows the ashes to fall through it.

Periodically you pull out the expanded metal grating and clean out the ashes.

Much better than dealing with sand and aggregate that has ashes dissolved into it.
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #3

Thanks Henry,

I don't think I can put any grating in mine, its basically two feet tall, the trim ring is a foot and below that is a foot of the paver fire pit kit.

What I thought was weird is that the instructions say a foot below the top or the bottom....I am guessing I should go by the top as if I were to go by the bottom I'd have to dig a foot deeper and that seems crazy as the bricks would still be exposed to the flame.

now I just have to figure out what to fill it with....seems some say that certain rocks can explode from the heat and not to use anything larger than a dime in size...or to just use sand and deal with the muck...though wonder if I can just use quickrete sand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #4

This site says to use pea gravel: http://firepitglasstemecula.com/faqs...a-gravel-what/

And lowes has it by the bag for like $4....wonder if that would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement