New Gravel Driveway/road - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By Canarywood1

Old 03-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

new gravel driveway/road

I have just purchased 5 acres of wooded land and need to build a driveway/road onto the property.

The land is fairly flat, slight slope ~5 with the road being built on the lower side of the slope. The land is dry after heavy rains with only a few small puddles.

Questions
  • What should I look for in the soil and how deep should I dig to inspect the soil?
  • Should I use and fabric underlayment and if so what type?
  • What types of gravel or stone should I use? I would like to finish with something that is not so dusty when dry.

Anything I missed feel free to point out. I am located in the Charleston area of South Carolina also known as the low country.

Thanks for your time.
Jason
jawsfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,918

Re: new gravel driveway/road

Quote:
  • What should I look for in the soil and how deep should I dig to inspect the soil?
  • Should I use and fabric underlayment and if so what type?
  • What types of gravel or stone should I use? I would like to finish with something that is not so dusty when dry.
Ayuh,.... It usually starts with cuttin' down any trees in the way,.....
Then the stumps, top dirt, 'n organic matter is stripped off the area, 'n exported, or stockpiled for future use,...
At that point, the sub-soils are evaluated, 'n decisions are made whether fabric is needed, or not,...
If it's a stable base, no fabric, if mud or clay, use the fabric,....
Also at this point, the depth of the fill is determined,....
If only 12" or less, I'd use an inch, 'n 1/2 minus crusher run gravel for the 1st 10", then top it off with 3/4" minus,...
If the fill is over a foot, or on a bad or poor base, I'd use 4" minus up to the last 2", which you'd then cap with 3/4" minus,...

As for less dusty, that's kinda a problem,...
It's the Minus in the crusher run that makes it Great road buildin' material,...
'n it's the Minus that'll be the dust,...

All the while doin' this, the water flows of the land have to be taken into account,...
Either the road needs to be low enough for any water that flows across, Can cross, or a culvert will be necessary,.....
I prefer elevated roads, with proper drainage built in,...
Elevated roads drain better, 'n water causes puddles, which always get bigger with water, traffic, 'n time,....
A nicely crowned drained road will last darn near forever,.....

Last edited by Bondo; 03-26-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,042

You can apply an application of calcium chloride to your road to stop the dust.
stadry likes this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,548

Regardless of what you do, there will be some maintenance. I have a 600' driveway that goes through woods at the start and finish...but hits a wet area in the middle. My neighbor has a 1500' driveway that cost him like $600 back s ago when we built our houses. And although the "wet portion" of his parallels mine and is about 10 yards away, the water flow on the property was from mine towards his. So when the driveway guy had to bring in his excavator....to pull out his bulldozer....I ended up with 3 grand worth of your coarse and bony gravel as a base. And every five years or so I have to add material. But so does my neighbor.....and everyone else I know with long driveways that are not paved over. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,700

beaufort or summerville ? absent any soil tests, i'd just scrape off the 'duff' & lay down gab,,, using tensar fabric would be a plus
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement