New Concrete Sidewalk- Need Info - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By barbiaux
  • 1 Post By barbiaux

Old 04-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

New concrete sidewalk- need info

We have a terrible sidewalk to our house right now and I need to do something. Currently It is a steep grade and right now there are 2x2 concrete pads that are all cracking. My original thought was to pour long steps so that it isn't as steep but not sure. My wife wants to add some steps to the walkway that way the rest of the walkway is less of a grade. So I guess a few questions.

1. When I did our deck I was able to use a program with lowes that designed the deck and told me the materials. Is there a program that would work like that for side walks where I can play with where to put the steps so I can see what it would look like.

2. What is the easiest way to to figure out the grade. I was going to use a laser level at the top with a tall poll at the bottom and see what the height difference is in various spots on the hill. TBH though I am not sure if the height is going to be 6ft or 30ft. The walkway is 75 feet long and rather steep in the middle. If it is 30 feet difference which I don't think it is, but if it is my laser level method won't work because I don't have anything that tall. Any other ways to get this done like an app on the phone showing exact elevation?

3. lastly, I have done concrete so I think I am do this but I have never done steps. Should I just buy the pre made concrete steps?
barbiaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 11,906

Re: New concrete sidewalk- need info

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiaux View Post
We have a terrible sidewalk to our house right now and I need to do something. Currently It is a steep grade and right now there are 2x2 concrete pads that are all cracking. My original thought was to pour long steps so that it isn't as steep but not sure. My wife wants to add some steps to the walkway that way the rest of the walkway is less of a grade. So I guess a few questions.

1. When I did our deck I was able to use a program with lowes that designed the deck and told me the materials. Is there a program that would work like that for side walks where I can play with where to put the steps so I can see what it would look like.

2. What is the easiest way to to figure out the grade. I was going to use a laser level at the top with a tall poll at the bottom and see what the height difference is in various spots on the hill. TBH though I am not sure if the height is going to be 6ft or 30ft. The walkway is 75 feet long and rather steep in the middle. If it is 30 feet difference which I don't think it is, but if it is my laser level method won't work because I don't have anything that tall. Any other ways to get this done like an app on the phone showing exact elevation?

3. lastly, I have done concrete so I think I am do this but I have never done steps. Should I just buy the pre made concrete steps?
Draw a sketch of the system as is.

Set the laser at the very top just on the walk way.

Measure the height of the light off the ground as you will subtract that measurement as you go down.
Measure out 100 inces and measure down and subtract that laser height

Move the laser to the new spot and do it again until you get to the bottom.

I would form the stairs if you are doing sidewalks too. They aren't that hard.

Then you can set that up with 7 or 8 sections which might help you decide where to put the stairs.

You would like to keep the slope of a side walk less than 2% which is 2" in 100" of travel If you have 2 steps you don't need a railing so you may want to do landing between sets of stairs, the landings are 36" long.
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 04:33 AM   #3
retired framer

Like this
Attached Thumbnails
New concrete sidewalk- need info-staris-concrete-form.png  
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 06:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Like this
Thank you. I will be watching you tube videos on doing steps but honestly not even sure how it works. I have done wooden steps but not concrete. I guess it is basically the same just wasnt sure if each step gets done independently or you pour it all at once. I will watch videos to learn.

I like the idea about 2 steps at a time. My other problem is this project will be done with bags of concrete. Our walkway is 250 feet from the street and a concrete truck can not get there because of how the driveway is. I talked to a company and they said the only option is to park on street wheel it but 250 feet up hill would be a killer and the wait time would be too expensive. It is going to be about 200 bags of 80 pound.

I am thinking if I do 2 steps then landing I can probably do each one of those at a time to make it manage
Old 04-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
retired framer

Quote:
Thank you. I will be watching you tube videos on doing steps but honestly not even sure how it works. I have done wooden steps but not concrete. I guess it is basically the same just wasnt sure if each step gets done independently or you pour it all at once. I will watch videos to learn.

I like the idea about 2 steps at a time. My other problem is this project will be done with bags of concrete. Our walkway is 250 feet from the street and a concrete truck can not get there because of how the driveway is. I talked to a company and they said the only option is to park on street wheel it but 250 feet up hill would be a killer and the wait time would be too expensive. It is going to be about 200 bags of 80 pound.

I am thinking if I do 2 steps then landing I can probably do each one of those at a time to make it manage
A pump truck or a line pump can pump it from the street.
You lay them out just like any other stairs, the difference is just where you nail what. And you don't cut them out.

I would form it up and hire the placing out and have it done in an afternoon.
http://www.bellai.com/assets/pdf/con..._3695-1_US.pdf

Last edited by Nealtw; 04-28-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 888

Just bear in mind that concrete for stairs needs to be at a low slump for placement, and pumps need a higher slump to be able to pump it, doubt a pump would work for this application.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,066

I did a concrete job once where I hauled concrete from the truck on the street up to the walk and steps by the house using a small tractor with front loader. Just a thought if your ground isn't too steep.
I would find some way to haul concrete before I mixed 200 bags!
Maybe concrete isn't the right mat'l for this project.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Just bear in mind that concrete for stairs needs to be at a low slump for placement, and pumps need a higher slump to be able to pump it, doubt a pump would work for this application.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.10863...7i13312!8i6656
Old 04-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
I did a concrete job once where I hauled concrete from the truck on the street up to the walk and steps by the house using a small tractor with front loader. Just a thought if your ground isn't too steep.
I would find some way to haul concrete before I mixed 200 bags!
Maybe concrete isn't the right mat'l for this project.
I redid the math today. It's "only" 160 bags.

That is one of the reasons that I am looking for a program to do a layout. I would like to see what different options look like. Not sure how it would look if I did 2 concrete steps then 6 feet of pavers then 2 steps and more pavers.

We live in a snow area too so I have to keep in mind of ease of clearing ice and snow.

I am open to some other options but cost is definitely an issue. We dont have the budget to spend 2500 on a walkway which is why I am trying to figure out how to do this on my own.
Yodaman and Nealtw like this.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
I redid the math today. It's "only" 160 bags.

That is one of the reasons that I am looking for a program to do a layout. I would like to see what different options look like. Not sure how it would look if I did 2 concrete steps then 6 feet of pavers then 2 steps and more pavers.

We live in a snow area too so I have to keep in mind of ease of clearing ice and snow.

I am open to some other options but cost is definitely an issue. We dont have the budget to spend 2500 on a walkway which is why I am trying to figure out how to do this on my own.
These are made out of 6x6 treated timbers and filled with some kind of fine gravel
https://www.chilliwack.com/main/page...onView&plID=68
Old 04-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 228

You need to have air entrainment in exterior concrete in a cold climate to keep it from delaminating in winter. You're not going to find it in the bag mixes at HD or Lowes. You can probably source it on the web somehow, but it needs to be measured very closely (a little goes a LONG way) to work out correctly.

To find the elevation change, you might have to reset the laser a few times down the slope. Set a stake or similar with a mark on it to serve as a benchmark. Add each benchmark together to get a total fall.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:17 AM   #12
retired framer

Do up a simple chart and get the numbers all the why to the road and we can help you with slopes and stairs.
Attached Thumbnails
New concrete sidewalk- need info-sidewalk-slope.png  
Old 04-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 888

Quote:

I don't think so!
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #14
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
I don't think so!
I don't know what to say, I have built forms like that to go from one street to another
Old 04-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Do up a simple chart and get the numbers all the why to the road and we can help you with slopes and stairs.
I will do that this weekend, thank you
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement