New Asphalt Driveway Section Separates From Old Section In Winter, Can't Seal Seam - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By Domo

Old 04-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 443

New asphalt driveway section separates from old section in winter, can't seal seam

We had a new asphalt driveway put in about 3 years ago. The following summer, the city redid our road and concrete curbs, and as a result, the city's asphalt contractor replaced the last 6 feet or so of our driveway with new asphalt. They replaced the full thickness, used a roller like they should, and the seam between the old and new section, which spans the width of our driveway, looked fairly tight that summer.

Problem is every winter (we're in frigid Minnesota) that section of driveway that they replaced separates from the rest of the driveway and the seam between the two turns into a 1/4"-1/3" gap. We complained to the city, since we know water gets in there and freezes and thaws and will wreck the asphalt and base underneath over time, and the city tried each winter to seal the seam. First they used some cheap crack filler, and that didn't last until past fall. Then they tried a two part crack filler that they had to mix and they said would be more heavy duty, but that also didn't last through the fall before the two parts of the driveway separated, leaving this gap that water gets in as it drains down our driveway. In winter that seam opens up, and then by summer it tightens up again.

So I'm looking for advice from asphalt experts. Did the city's asphalt contractor prepare the base wrong or lay the asphalt wrong where it joins our driveway? I don't see city streets here, where two sections of asphalt adjoin, separating like that. Should we demand they redo that section of asphalt or will it likely separate the same way? We're hoping to avoid having to pay $200 every year for the next 20 years to have a company come in and fill the seam with a hot crack filler, which I know is probably better than what the city has been filling the crack with. But even if we did that, we don't know if that new section of asphalt would continue to separate.

Last edited by Studly; 04-03-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Studly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,918

Re: New asphalt driveway section separates from old section in winter, can't seal sea

Quote:
In winter that seam opens up, and then by summer it tightens up again.
Ayuh,..... Mother earth moves quite abit throughout the year,....
Especially up here in the frigid north,....

There's really little you can do to seal the crack,....
My guess is, even if it was dug out, 'n redone, it would Still separate throughout the year,....

Donno whether there's any blacktop repair companies up in yer area that does seamless infrared heated repairs,..??.....
It's around, but not all that common,......
We just bought an ole I/R heater at a State auction, I'm gonna rebuild, 'n see if We can develop that market around here,.....
I've been learnin' 'bout the process on youtube,....
landfillwizard likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
Studly (04-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,410

Re: New asphalt driveway section separates from old section in winter, can't seal sea

Studly (04-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,..... Mother earth moves quite abit throughout the year,....
Especially up here in the frigid north,....

There's really little you can do to seal the crack,....
My guess is, even if it was dug out, 'n redone, it would Still separate throughout the year,....

Donno whether there's any blacktop repair companies up in yer area that does seamless infrared heated repairs,..??.....
It's around, but not all that common,......
We just bought an ole I/R heater at a State auction, I'm gonna rebuild, 'n see if We can develop that market around here,.....
I've been learnin' 'bout the process on youtube,....

I'll have to check into the seamless repair. Thanks for the tip. If I don't find that available, is a hot crack filler the next best thing?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly View Post
I'll have to check into the seamless repair. Thanks for the tip. If I don't find that available, is a hot crack filler the next best thing?
Ayuh,..... I don't think it'll matter, 'n I doubt you'll find anybody willin' to fire up a tar kettle for such a tiny job,.....

If it bugs ya that bad,....
Get a bucket of sealer, with added sand,.....
It won't hurt anything, but I believe it'll be back next year,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,170

You have two separate slabs of material that probably have two different base materials and base preparation procedures. - That's two cracks, one on top of the other.

The base and asphalts will expand and contract at differing rates and will never become one piece - no matter what you do - so you will always have a crack of some sort.

You can keep filling it as you have.

You could open it up to 6" and install a drain - that way, any water can be directed out of the trough. It will look better as the flanged edges of the drain grate should overlap both sections by at least and inch. Granted that does not make the crack go away, but it can remove the water and make everything look better...
stadry likes this.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Domo For This Useful Post:
Studly (04-05-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 02:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,700

in the winter, remember how wide the crack measured ? cracks're irregular - even in acc (nys dot definition = asphalt cement concrete aka flexible pvmnt),,, all pvmnt crks - ALL of it,,, is it straight or squiggly ? cracks get narrower in hot weather

made a good living sealing acc & pcc (nys dot definition - portland cement concrete aka rigid pvmnt) pvmnt cracks - ny, pa, nj, & ct - using hot ( 390f ) poured rubberized sealants meeting astm spec 3405

that's impractical for you BUT you may score a decent hot crk seal repair by asking a sealcoating co to seal it when they're nearby,,, doubtful you'll find a crafco unit BUT you might be able to find a 25gal direct fire pour pot of astm 1190
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
in the winter, remember how wide the crack measured ? cracks're irregular - even in acc (nys dot definition = asphalt cement concrete aka flexible pvmnt),,, all pvmnt crks - ALL of it,,, is it straight or squiggly ? cracks get narrower in hot weather

made a good living sealing acc & pcc (nys dot definition - portland cement concrete aka rigid pvmnt) pvmnt cracks - ny, pa, nj, & ct - using hot ( 390f ) poured rubberized sealants meeting astm spec 3405

that's impractical for you BUT you may score a decent hot crk seal repair by asking a sealcoating co to seal it when they're nearby,,, doubtful you'll find a crafco unit BUT you might be able to find a 25gal direct fire pour pot of astm 1190

Good to know, thanks. When we check out sealcoating companies will ask what ASTM spec their hot crack filler meets.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,700

astm 1190 would also be acceptable
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement