Leak Over Cold Room - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By XSleeper

Old 06-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 210

leak over cold room

I have seen lots of references to this on google - but no real solution.
My front steps is over the cold room - and it leaks when there is heavy blowing rain.
Any tricks on how to identify the source of the leak? How should I approach this?
CanadianSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,713

Re: leak over cold room

Well, unless you have some obvious cracks in the pad, its leaking at the perimeter of the pad. So if the pad overhangs the foundation, caulk the perimeter where the pad meets the foundation.

Where it meets the house, there should have been a flashing installed. For some reason some people dont get that. So where it meets the house, about all you can do is caulk it. Or try using a self leveling concrete sealant. It will either fill up the crack or drip into the cold room. Or both. Or neither. LOL
CanadianSal likes this.
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2020, 10:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Well, unless you have some obvious cracks in the pad, its leaking at the perimeter of the pad. So if the pad overhangs the foundation, caulk the perimeter where the pad meets the foundation.

Where it meets the house, there should have been a flashing installed. For some reason some people dont get that. So where it meets the house, about all you can do is caulk it. Or try using a self leveling concrete sealant. It will either fill up the crack or drip into the cold room. Or both. Or neither. LOL
Thanks - I have never seen it done, but how is that step built? Is it just lifted unto the foundation usually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2020, 10:48 PM   #4

Well cant see your house so I'm totally guessing based on what is usual. The foundation of the cold room is poured (or blocks were laid up) then a plywood form was built inside the room so that a cap could be poured over the room seperately, when the other flatwork is done.. Then the form was removed. Newer houses would likely have a corrugated metal form, and that would be the ceiling you would see inside the cold room. Generally the pad should overhang 1 1/2" or so over the foundation, as a drip edge. But you will always have the cold joint where the pad sits on the wall. And where it butts up to the house some guys pour right up to the wood but in reality it ought to have a copper flashing (longest lasting, and doesnt corrode in concrete) and an expansion joint as a cushion between the framing and the concrete.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:49 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,110

We do bonus rooms under garages , we build a structure inside and pour the concrete.
Older ones often leak. the new deal is a solid membrane and another 3" of concrete on top of the 8" inch slab.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,548

use caulk & you'll largely wast time $ money,,, IF that's the problem, seal w/np1 instead,,, follow the directions, too ! just don't glom it on & be a know-it-all,,, you might see if a reglet cut into the underside resolves the issue too
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:12 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
We do bonus rooms under garages , we build a structure inside and pour the concrete.
Older ones often leak. the new deal is a solid membrane and another 3" of concrete on top of the 8" inch slab.
that's certainly overkill !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
that's certainly overkill !
Further up north they add in foam board between the layer too.
We always do the ceiling below level and a slope in the garage so the slab is 11" at the back, They like over kill up here. But they don't leak anymore.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Well cant see your house so I'm totally guessing based on what is usual. The foundation of the cold room is poured (or blocks were laid up) then a plywood form was built inside the room so that a cap could be poured over the room seperately, when the other flatwork is done.. Then the form was removed. Newer houses would likely have a corrugated metal form, and that would be the ceiling you would see inside the cold room. Generally the pad should overhang 1 1/2" or so over the foundation, as a drip edge. But you will always have the cold joint where the pad sits on the wall. And where it butts up to the house some guys pour right up to the wood but in reality it ought to have a copper flashing (longest lasting, and doesnt corrode in concrete) and an expansion joint as a cushion between the framing and the concrete.
Here are some pics - this is inside and outside. I have also highlighted a crack - but the leaks seem to happen where the walkway meets the Steps and where the step meets the house. The walkway also seems to have dropped.
I am just not sure where to caulk here? If the crack is the source of the leak, how can I fix that? I saw the neighbours resurfaced their last fall - and it's all falling apart now.
Attached Thumbnails
leak over cold room-img_20200628_105828.jpg   leak over cold room-img_20200628_105835.jpg   leak over cold room-img_20200628_105904.jpg   leak over cold room-img_20200628_105944.jpg   leak over cold room-img_20200628_110012.jpg  

Old 06-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #10

Yeah that's not what I was picturing at all. And by "caulk" I was obviously referring to a cement sealant like NP1, Sikaflex, Loctite S10 or S20, etc, etc. which you apply with a caulking gun.

Cant see in the photos where the water is coming in, and can only assume that the last 2 photos are showing the plywood form that is the ceiling under the concrete stoop and step. No way to make a reglet when the pad doesnt overhang the foundation.

The large crack seems like it would be an obvious point for water intrusion, so try fixing that first. You would need to grind a notch to make the crack a little wider then caulk it using a self leveling concrete sealant.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #11

There appears to be a reglet flashing in front where it meets the walk. Clean out that gap and give us a close up picture of what you find there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement