Large Concrete Project - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip

Old 06-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #1

Large concrete project

I am going to expand the side of my pool decking to the dimensions of 10' by 60'. This also happens to be regulation shuffleboard court size.
The thing is since it will double as a shuffleboard court there can be no expansion joints. I know this can be done but I need to know what questions to ask a perspective contractor so I know he knows what he's doing. I have read in some forums That the key is in site prep, but no one specific on what that prep was. Any help would be appreciated !
Scbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Large concrete project

Compaction?
Depth and composition of base?
Method finish? Broom/smooth?
Rebar/mesh?
Sealer?
Edging?
Cleanup and landscape?
SeniorSitizen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2017, 04:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,784

You will also need to remove any soft soil below this project, clay, loam will not compact well. If you use a walk behind compactor add your gravel in small lifts, probably 3" at a time. Even the large compactors specify 6" max.

You will want a thicker slab and probably stronger concrete but I would have to search and guess so I'll avoid the guessing.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,742

if you're in a freeze/thaw clime, ixnay on the shuffleboard ct,,, wait til you're older like woody & me & move to fl, az, or nm,,, there's a good reason they're not so popular up nawth,,, ' course it wouldda been a help if you'd posted where YOUR where's located

try taking up lawn darts instead
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 9,018

See link:
http://www.domsports.com/pdfs/Buildi...rd%20Court.PDF
They are saying crushed rock to below the frost line. Hope you are not in Minnesota.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement