Large Beam Removal - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Large Beam Removal

I have a remodel project that involves removing a roof that was supported by 4 12" diameter round wooden beams that are each embedded in concrete. I need to either completely remove these beams, or remove enough of them to a point below the surface of the surrounding concrete such that I can concrete over the top and fill the void. However, I have no idea how to do this and I'm hoping to get a few ideas. They are in there very solidly. Appreciate any ideas or insight! Thanks!
Jason.ginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,772

If you are going to discard them entirely, just cut them off as flush as you can get them.

Then drill drill drill, many holes in the stump. Then a wood chisel and a mallet.

A lot of work but it will be done.

There is a product called "Stump Rot", but I believe that it takes months to remove the wood.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.ginn View Post
I have a remodel project that involves removing a roof that was supported by 4 12" diameter round wooden beams that are each embedded in concrete. I need to either completely remove these beams, or remove enough of them to a point below the surface of the surrounding concrete such that I can concrete over the top and fill the void. However, I have no idea how to do this and I'm hoping to get a few ideas. They are in there very solidly. Appreciate any ideas or insight! Thanks!
"Beams" or columns? I'm confused!
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

De-nagorg, thank you. I was hoping there might be an easier way but maybe I'm stuck doing it that way.

Bud Cline, I'm sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, but I thought my description of "12" round wooden" would be sufficient. Not sure whether they are technically "beams" or "columns".

I'm wondering if it would be unusual for this type of beam or column to be simply "hoisted" or pulled straight up out of the concrete? I was thinking if there were no other attachment mechanisms that I can't see under the surface, that I might be able to possibly anchor a large bolt or something in the side and then use a jack to get some leverage and pull it straight up. Or even possibly a pulley system like an engine hoist or something. Any thoughts?
Jason.ginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

A beam is horizontal, a column is vertical, hence the question. Sounds like you have a pole barn, and the wood you are describing are the four poles (columns) supporting the beams that support the roof. If you have access to large equipment like a big front end loader, you may be able to pull the column while it is still attached to the concrete foundation, i.e. pull the foundation and column, haul them all to the dump.

You may be able to leave the wooden column in place cut flush with the ground, all depends on what you are planning to do next with the area. Some pictures and a careful description of what your long term plans are would help.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,772

That thought occurred to me, but if they are stuck to the concrete, you will likely pull a big divot out of the concrete as well.

is the roof still on this building?
If not a crane will be a fast way, Remember if you try jacking on them, that there is a lot of weight in this column, it is basically a tree indoors, do not let it fall on you.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
beam , cement , concrete , post