How Is This Done? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Zuko
  • 1 Post By jomama45
  • 1 Post By 3onthetree
  • 1 Post By stuart44
  • 1 Post By jomama45

Old 05-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

How is this done?

Greetings & thanks for the welcome to this DIY Chatroom.
A few years ago, I built a sunroom attachment to our house. The base is a concrete slab. I put up two walls one 7 feet & the other 21 ft with a door in the center of the 21ft. The room is connected to the house on another wall and is accessed though the original back door. I made the mistake of putting a 2 x 4 wooden base directly to the concrete slab. Needless to say that it has water rotted once & is probably again since we see water inside the corner after a rain. What I want to do is to pour a concrete rise, about 6 inches high and 4 inches wide with threaded studs installed to attach the 2x4 wooden base with the goal is to lift the walls off of the concrete slab. First, does it sound reasonable and what would be the best concrete mix to accomplish building that rise. Thank You for any input,.
Zuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,626

Re: How is this done?

I would be easier to do 4" CMU blocks, they are 8" tall so you could cut them in half install them and fill them with concrete and drill in anchors to the slab after the sill is placed on top.
Msradell likes this.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 01:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

So, that means my 6" rise is now 4" which I guess would be ok. Are the blocks secured to the cement slab by filling the holes with concrete & does the cement slab that the blocks are secured to need to be roughed up? Finally, how can I part the 8" block into two 4" pcs accurately. (can they be scored and chiseled?)
Nealtw likes this.
Zuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 01:51 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,626

You can cut it with a saw with a diamond blade like this but with a trickle of water to keep the dust down.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:00 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 458

I wouldn't advise cutting 4" by 8" by 16" block in half height wise when 4" half course block are readily available in almost every market in the US, unless you like wasting time and money........
stadry likes this.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 136

Are concrete bricks like these available to you? If so 2 courses to get you the 6 inches could be another option.
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/PD-E...48%29/p/863319
stuart44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart44 View Post
Are concrete bricks like these available to you?
Concrete bricks won't do, you need open cells to install anchor bolts and fully grout closed.

The main question of having water coming in at the slab height hasn't been addressed. Raising the wood walls on CMUs protects the wood, but the water will still be there, concrete/mortar joints are porous, and you'll still have issues.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 136

Timber framed houses are fixed here by either fixing through the sole plate to the masonry or fixing angle brackets to them. A roll of DPC is placed below the sole plate to stop any damp.
jomama45 likes this.
stuart44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
Concrete bricks won't do, you need open cells to install anchor bolts and fully grout closed.
Not necessarily.

If the OP epoxied threaded rod (galvanized, preferably) into the slab, you could lay brick around them and just notch for the threaded rods. The brick or block is just a cheap filler that's keeping the wood separated from the slab. A lightweight garage will put a fraction of the load down that a masonry stem wall is capable of carrying.

On edit, I forgot to mention that the core holes in 4" block are borderline useless, they're so small.......
stuart44 likes this.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement