Help - Screwed Up Caulking Driveway - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Help - Screwed up caulking driveway

Hi there,

First time posting. I was caulking the 2in wide x 16ft long gap between my driveway and garage yesterday and I screwed it up. I cleared most debris out then put play sand as a base. Then I put foam backer in there but I suppose it wasn't deep enough. It was taking a lot of bottles of caulk to fill the gap. Now the foam backer has risen to the top of most of it. Its basically a covered caulk rope.

Should I just rip out the foam backer and place a new one in there lower down as a I can? Then put new caulk on top. Will I even be able to do that at this point? I was trying to get away with not using as much caulk but it looks like that backfired.

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!
Terry0304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,998

Re: Help - Screwed up caulking driveway

From the way it sounds, I think using some kind of asphalt repair would have been a better choice.
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 806

Check out Pecora Products they have sealants for Parking garages, Bridges & Roads including Driveways.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,552

where is YOUR 'where',,, posting a location is ALWAYS helpful & shows consideration for & respect to responders,,, you're here asking for help, remember ? so much for the manners lesson

why any play sand ? afraid of falling in ? you probably already know about clean sidewalls for proper adhesion,,, go to the dollar store & buy some foam waterwings,,, they're closed cell backer rod in colors & MUCH cheaper than buying the grey stuff from specialty suppliers,,, trim to fit SNUG & be sure the top of the rod's 1/2" BELOW the surface of the concrete

install your sealant @ 3/8" thickness,,, much thicker & you risk loss of adhesion - thinner the risk is cohesion failure,,, this should leave the sealant room to 'breathe' as the conc changes dimension in response to changes in temp,,, hot conc = thin joints & reverse is true - bigger joints when conc's cold ( hyskoul fizix, remember ? ),,, that way tires generally won't 'scrub' the sealant

use non-sag sealant, NOT self leveling,,, 'tool' properly to promote adhesion,,, this would also be a good time to read the mfg'er's w/site for installing directions

pecora's ok but not available w/o some searching & driving,,, 'as equals' will be available at your local apron/vest store
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 204

Repairing asphalt is a sound next step. You can fill cracks with sand and then apply patching compound. You'll have to seal too in the end. This source provides easy to understand guidelines which I am emphasizing here: don't use the driveway until is fully cured, make sure to determine number of applications based on weather and type of sealer, and do it as least once a year.
jecapereca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
caulking , concrete driveway repair