DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help needed-Concrete porch question

782 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  de-nagorg 
#1 · (Edited)
The front porch on my house has a brick perimeter with a 4 in concrete pad in the middle. The concrete is cracked and has settled causing it to be unlevel. (See first pic). If I removed the concrete and compacted the sand base beneath it, could I lay bricks directly on the sand base or would I have to have a new concrete slab poured and then add the bricks on top of the concrete? Something like pic 2 or 3 is what I’m trying to accomplish. Also, this porch has 2 columns on it that support the roof that over hangs it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes you can lay pavers on the old base for the concrete, after removing the concrete, and possibly rebuilding the base a little.

What you do is rent a concrete saw, and saw the old concrete up into manageable sizes, remember to leave the area around the pillars alone, undisturbed, to preserve the pillars and their footings.

Saw it square around these pillar bases, so that your pavers will fit snug against the footers, and look custom built.

After removing all the old concrete, rebuild the base, with gravel, and sand, use a plate compactor, and lay your pavers as they are designed to be lain.

ED

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.