Help Me Out Masons - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joed

Old 03-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Help me out masons

Alright, I just bought a house with this huge "terrace" garden I guess you could call it. It looks like the top part is poured concrete and the bottom is just rocks that have been put together with concrete. It would take a huge amount of work to move this..Im sure it would require at minimum a bobcat with a breaker attachment. My question is this...do you think I could come off the bottom section, or even make a new row with blocks and put joists across it? This way I could make it level and plop a storage building on it. My thinking is if I cant remove this crap, I can put a big shop or portable building over it and make it a shop. I don't know if it would be more expensive to excavate it , or make something to go over it. Guess I am just asking if it would be better to try to use whats there or just build over it. I doubt I could use the bottom row, but maybe some blocks on the bottom with joists attached to the top row? I thought about filling it with dirt, but thats a ton of dirt...thanks for any and all advice.

[ATTACH]Help me out masons-backyard2.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Help me out masons-backyard1.jpg  
mattg8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,908

Re: Help me out masons

Quote:
Guess I am just asking if it would be better to try to use whats there or just build over it.
Ayuh,... If ya went with sono-tubes for a foundation, you could no doubt build over, 'n around that, without exportin' it,...

I wouldn't count on any of it for foundation purposes,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,030

You would not be permitted to use that as a foundation unless you could prove it was deep enough for frost and strong enough for the weight of the building. You would never be able to do that without digging it up.
concretemasonry likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

ehh I was worried about not being able to use any of it. Guess the easiest thing to do would be to haul in some dirt or shale, and level it out and set a pre-fabbed building on it. I may get out there and dig down and see how deep it goes...may be worth it to rent a bobcat one weekend and try to break a row or two up and see what Im up against...appreciate the comments.

matt
mattg8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement