Help With Concrete Fireplace - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jomama45

Old 02-15-2019, 07:47 PM  

Rewards Points: 2

Help with Concrete fireplace

I have framed out a fireplace with durock. What is the best product and method to use to get a smooth glossy finish? I know some sanding will be necessary. I was considering spraying GFRC but unsure if it will run too much on the vertical surface. Thank you for your advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 09:14 PM  

Rewards Points: 88

Re: Help with Concrete fireplace

Use a Venetian Plaster NO SANDING required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 PM  
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 422

I've cast my share of GFRC precast with a buddy of mine who did concrete countertops/etc... The problem is that you can't actually spray GFRC, as far as I know. You can spray a face coat w/o the fibers, but that's kind of against the point, as it's not GFRC.

Not sure how you're going to get GFRC flat and smooth on a vertical surface without casting it flat and tipping it into place after it cures.
stadry likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 08:44 AM  

Rewards Points: 88

With the right equipment you can spray GFRC but foe a one time fire place it would be very high $$$$. Tape the board joints as per manufactures recommendations than apply a very thin base coat of a veneer plaster & than finish with a smooth troweled finish coat it should be a smooth as glass if you use the right material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement