Hard Adhesive For Broken Marble Piece - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 354

Hard adhesive for broken marble piece

This is an odd duck. Have a marble paper towel holder that we use for kit. wash cloth. Round marble base (w/ ~ 5/16" hole drilled thru).

The ~ 1.375" OD marble "rod" or post has a ~ 5/16" x 1-1/8" deep hole bored into the end that sits on base.
Mfg connected post & base using a metal pin (maybe some adhesive), through the base & into bored hole. Except they used bare ferrous metal. Rusted, expanded & split off part of the post.

I cleaned it all up - well - & used 2 part J.B. Weld epoxy (orig. formula). Used a 5/16" bolt - the hex head fit nicely in shallow, large bore, under the base. Repair held for a yr?

The epoxy stuck well to galvanized bolt OK, and where I filled the hole around HEAD of bolt. But inside the mfg's bored hole, it didn't stick well to marble walls. I filled the hole before inserting bolt, already epoxied in the base.

Maybe didn't stick because, though the bore walls are quite rough, marble has no porosity. What little epoxy was still stuck, scraped off easily. I think instructions say one or both surfaces must be porous. (most metals aren't).

J.B.Weld "support" said to reach full strength, the epoxy must be 1/8" thick. It was a little under that, in the bore around the bolt.
If that's true, using epoxy to glue on the split off "chip" won't work. In fact, didn't - for what ever reason.

Cost of buying special, fairly high strength adhesive is limited for the project (think the holder cost ~ $15, some 8 - 10 yrs ago).

Don't know if there's better adhesive for marble (in $mall tube), or if roughening the marble bore hole w/ some Dremmel stone, or scratching w/ an awl would make epoxy stick better.

Have some silicone - might stick to roughened bore hole & definitely to bolt threads. What ever's used must be strong enough to support weight of base when lifted by the post.
tearitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 888

Re: Hard adhesive for broken marble piece

"If that's true, using epoxy to glue on the split off "chip" won't work. In fact, didn't - for what ever reason."

Thats what they use to patch cracks in marble
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,942

when we had a monument company, akemi was the ' go to ' supplier for marble/granite repairs,,, here's our source:
https://www.granquartz.com/Pages/Ite...&productPage=3

just as w/good tools, good materials aren't cheap
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #4

@Canarywood1 - epoxy "used to patch cracks" in marble, vs. used to glue a large piece back on? Two diff things. There are different chemical formulations in "2 part epoxies" - assumed for different materials? My knowledge falls short here. Probably, "epoxy" is kin to terms "caulk" or "glue."

The epoxy didn't adhere well to the bumpy surfaces of the split piece or the bumpy bored hole. Now I notice the borehole walls & broken chip are bumpy, but still have very visible sheen. Don't know how it's possible to have an even textured, bumpy surface on a bored hole that still has some sheen.

But it stuck well to the countersink hole (for bolt head) on underside of the base. Countersink hole is smoother, but 100% dull. That part took chiseling to remove epoxy.

Seems likely I'll have to dull the glue surfaces, but they're moderately to very bumpy. Hard to sand or grind anything but the peaks. Maybe some muratic acid (already have) will etch it & dull the surface?

JB Weld says,
Quote:
"For the best weld, roughen surfaces to be welded with fine or coarse sandpaper."
Marble is listed as compatible material."
Again, the support agent said it has to be ~ 1/8" thick layer to reach rated strength. Full strength is overkill - just needs to stick.

An unscientific test of tensile strength for several brands of 2 part epoxy (mainly for metal), in a shop on sandblasted surfaces.
To see which ones failed 1st.

Possible variable in the video - if the same epoxy thickness wasn't left under each bolt head - affecting strength. If only 1/32" less epoxy out of say, 1/8" was used, that's 25% less thickness.

Many yrs ago, I believe some brands of general purpose 2 part epoxies struck better, were stronger (as were some cyanoacrylates).
Old 12-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,942

caulk, glue, & epoxies are entirely different materials employed for differing purposes,,, if 1 is willing to use ' $6 ' materials while anticipating $100 repairs, who's in error ? gave a good source but feel free to stick w/apron/vest store materials,,, using the correct epoxy, thickness would be measured in mils,,, today's materials are far superior to what we had 35yrs ago
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #6

@ stadry - thanks for the link, but this an inexpensive item.
The products on the linked site may be superior, but they cost several times more than my item.

I'm quite sure the shiny surface on the broken parts & borehole, what ever the cause, is why epoxy didn't stick. It stuck where the surface was dull.

I'll have to dull & clean the irregular surfaces - probably w/ acid or abrasive powder & small brush. Maybe a Dremmel flexible abrasive wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement