Had Some Water In The House During All The Rain In California, Need A Solution. - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 03-06-2017, 12:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 208

Had some water in the house during all the rain in California, need a solution.

I have a few problems that I'd like to solve and I think I have the solution.

I have a slab foundation and block walls. The house was built in the 1930's and the problems that I have are uneven floors and water getting into the house with heavy rains.

I have a pump and french drain on one side and will be working on getting rid of the water as one solution, but I have another solution I'd like to try.

Fill the house with about 2 or more inches of concrete. Have a company come out and pump concrete into the house to a certain depth, 2 or more inches or more.

This would raise the foundation and make the floor level.

I want hardwood everywhere except the kitchen/baths and that'll be tile. The floor would be tar paper, plywood and hardwood.

Understand that this is just one solution to the water problem. I'll be grading, installing french drains, pumps, etc...

I've been here over 20 years and never had this kind of flooding.

One other note, I was going to lay down a concrete surface leveler, but figure that the 2+" layer of concrete would do the same thing.
KarlJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,924

Re: Had some water in the house during all the rain in California, need a solution.

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin', raisin' the floors 3" brings alota problems by itself,....

Why not lower the grades, Outside the house,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,094

Re: Had some water in the house during all the rain in California, need a solution.

Raising the floor does not keep the water out. It just puts the floor above the water, maybe.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... Generally speakin', raisin' the floors 3" brings alota problems by itself,....

Why not lower the grades, Outside the house,....
I have a number of things that I want to do in order to address this and changing the grades is one of them.

I was looking at the floor leveling products, they work like a thin coat of self-leveling concrete. So I figure if that's going to be ok, why wouldn't a thicker coat be ok?

You say it brings a lot of problems, what problems do you see it bringing?
Old 03-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Raising the floor does not keep the water out. It just puts the floor above the water, maybe.
The water covered the low parts of the house, the parts that are already up by about 1/4" didn't have a problem.

I really don't understand the "not keep water out" part. The water was kept out of parts of the house that had a higher floor, only the low parts got wet.

I don't understand how a higher floor wouldn't keep water out.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
The water covered the low parts of the house, the parts that are already up by about 1/4" didn't have a problem.

I really don't understand the "not keep water out" part. The water was kept out of parts of the house that had a higher floor, only the low parts got wet.

I don't understand how a higher floor wouldn't keep water out.
Ayuh,.... You might have dry floors, but the water will still wick up the walls, causin' mold,....

Ya Gotta lower the grades, 'n drain the area, Outside the house,....
Old 03-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Ayuh,.... You might have dry floors, but the water will still wick up the walls, causin' mold,....

Ya Gotta lower the grades, 'n drain the area, Outside the house,....
I understand that I need to grade and drain. That's not really the issue of this thread. I'm trying to find out about using concrete to level and raise a floor independent of the motivation for raising the floor.

Is there any way anyone can get past the water issue and focus on the question of raising a floor using concrete pumped in vs a concrete leveler?

Someone suggested a lot of problems with pouring concrete over a concrete slab. I'm trying to find out what problems there would be in pouring concrete over a concrete slab.

If there's a lot of problems with pouring concrete over a concrete slab, are those problems still there with a concrete leveler? I've talked to a number of pros about using a concrete leveler and this is exactly what it's supposed to be used for.

So how is a concrete leveler any different from concrete such that the concrete would have a lot of problems and the concrete leveler wouldn't.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Someone suggested a lot of problems with pouring concrete over a concrete slab. I'm trying to find out what problems there would be in pouring concrete over a concrete slab.
Ayuh,.... Levelin' compound is not very strong, 'n made to shim unlevel floors by less than 1/2",...
It's basically concrete with no aggregates,... No stones, No strength,...

Pourin' 2" of concrete will put it 2" up the walls, a Rot issue by itself,...
Pourin' 2" of concrete means the ceilin' is 2" closer to the floor, less head space,....
Pourin' 2" of concrete means cuttin' the bottoms off any doors in the house,....
Pourin' 2" of concrete could mean lower drawers will no longer open,....
Pourin' 2" of concrete could mean any bottom cabinets will no longer be useful,...
Pourin' 2" of concrete is a foolish idea for Sooo many reasons,.....

If ya regrade, 'n drain the area Outside the house, there's no longer any reason what so ever to pour 2" of concrete inside the house,...
Old 03-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 136

There are thin screeds that can be used for 2 inches or less, but there are some valid points above.

https://www.midlandscreedfloor.co.uk/thinfloorscreed/
stuart44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Ayuh,.... Levelin' compound is not very strong, 'n made to shim unlevel floors by less than 1/2",...
It's basically concrete with no aggregates,... No stones, No strength,...

Pourin' 2" of concrete will put it 2" up the walls, a Rot issue by itself,...
Pourin' 2" of concrete means the ceilin' is 2" closer to the floor, less head space,....
Pourin' 2" of concrete means cuttin' the bottoms off any doors in the house,....
Pourin' 2" of concrete could mean lower drawers will no longer open,....
Pourin' 2" of concrete could mean any bottom cabinets will no longer be useful,...
Pourin' 2" of concrete is a foolish idea for Sooo many reasons,.....

If ya regrade, 'n drain the area Outside the house, there's no longer any reason what so ever to pour 2" of concrete inside the house,...
The walls are all concrete, there's no inside doors or cabinets yet. It's basically a shell of a house where everything except the roof frame is concrete and/or concrete block.

When I put up new doors, I made them about 4" above the foundation to account for the floor and some kind of sub floor.

The supplier of the leveling told me it was very strong, this is the first I've heard the leveling isn't strong. He specifically said it was used in a warehouse.

BTW, I'd still have to level the floor, so once again, the water issue can be 100% ignored.

I guess at this point this whole thread is ruined as nobody will ever ignore the water issue and will only offer solutions that I'm already working on.

I know and understand grades, I know and understand drains. There's no wood in this home below the roof. The walls are concrete blocks. One of the rooms had a layer of concrete on it that I removed during the remodel. It was there since the 1940's and used to raise the bathroom to get the sewer to drain.

I guess we'll never get past the grading issues and get to the question of adding or replacing that 2" layer of concrete, but instead of one room, make it for the whole house and that should give me a level surface.

Ok, thanks.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart44 View Post
There are thin screeds that can be used for 2 inches or less, but there are some valid points above.

https://www.midlandscreedfloor.co.uk/thinfloorscreed/
This is one of the things I was thinking about before. Because I'll be laying down tar paper and 3/4" plywood, I wanted to make the bathrooms even. So I was told about this mix, I guess it's about the same as you'd find under a paver driveway.

If it can work under a paver driveway, why can't it be used in a bathroom or in all rooms?

All those problems mentioned don't really apply to me, I have zero internal doors, I have no cabinets, these things are assumed. I'm near the end of a remodel and I can account for these things later.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:49 AM   #12

If floor heights are not a problem a screed can be used. Some polymer based ones can be used on a floor finish alone in commercial areas as thin as 20mm.
Traditionally concrete floors in houses here had a sand/cement 2-3 inch screed using a semi dry mix put down at the end of the job to give a really flat smooth and level finish.
The screeds in the link are a more modern wet self levelling type.
KarlJay likes this.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart44 View Post
If floor heights are not a problem a screed can be used. Some polymer based ones can be used on a floor finish alone in commercial areas as thin as 20mm.
Traditionally concrete floors in houses here had a sand/cement 2-3 inch screed using a semi dry mix put down at the end of the job to give a really flat smooth and level finish.
The screeds in the link are a more modern wet self levelling type.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I'll call around for local companies and find out who does this kind of work here.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,704

many commercial hi-rise bdgs are being constructed the same,,, pour the floor & jump the forms to the next floor above,,, later on there'll be a truck down on the ground supplying leveling mix to flatten out the floors,,, everything gets done faster

your idea's good to me - i'd pick regular conc rather'n polymer-modified & make it a bonded overlay

good luck !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #15

Nowadays there are various ways of solid floor construction. In one method the insulation boards are laid on top of the concrete and then a 3 inch sand/cement screed is laid on top of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement