Garage Block Pushed In From Gradual Pushing From Freeze Thaw. - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yodaman
  • 1 Post By Bondo

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Garage block pushed in from gradual pushing from freeze thaw.

Our detached garage has one wall that has about a 6 foot row of the second concrete block from the bottom block “pushed” in toward the interior a good 3-4 inches. We’ve lived here 20 years and it hasn’t moved more than probably half an inch since we bought the house but it IS moving nonetheless. I’m looking for a cheap fix. Could i just have someone hold a piece of 4x4 post against it while giving the post a few whacks with a sledgehammer? I’ll have plenty to do with French draining the exterior - which i could also use some guidance on. I’m just looking for something that’ll hold for maybe another 20 years. I don’t need to work too too hard, the lawn still needs mowed lol 🤷🏻*♂️ In all seriousness thank you for any tips or suggestions you might have.
Username10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,010

Re: Garage block pushed in from gradual pushing from freeze thaw.

If you want a permanent fix, it might be better to remove it. Chisel and scrap away old mortar, and then reset with new mortar.

Hammering the block with a board over it, may break it. And even if it didn't, it will still be loose.
Bondo likes this.
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,044

Ayuh,.... I agree that beatin' 'em back into place would more likely smash 'em to bits,.....

Jackin' the wall enough to relieve the pressure would possibly make it viable,.....

Pictures would help, Alot,....
Yodaman likes this.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

[attach][attach]Garage block pushed in from gradual pushing from freeze thaw.-0d07e687-9699-4367-a062-1955d8db2664.jpg

Garage block pushed in from gradual pushing from freeze thaw.-73dd76cb-ec3a-4cfb-a55b-48f12903e0a8.jpg

Garage block pushed in from gradual pushing from freeze thaw.-f23fa463-51a1-4bd1-a2a0-da8c3a1c227c.jpg[/attach][/attach]
Username10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,918

no such thing,,, 'cheap fix' = hack patch,,, repair correctly or suffer consequences,,, otoh, since its yours, try the 'beat back into place' method,,, worst that can happen is the wall collapses
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 602

Back in the 50's, my dad fixed our cellar wall that had pushed in by first digging out the outside wall to the foundation. He cut holes every 5' apart in the cellar floor along the footer. He then placed railroad against ties the wall and secured them to the top of the wall. He then went 4' and perpendicular away from the railroad ties and dug holes in the concrete floor to place old railroad jack to push against the wall.

Everyday he would jack each jack one click to slowly push the wall back in place. It took a couple of weeks but it moved the wall back to plumb. He back filled the outside wall with drain and drainage stone. He left the railroad ties in place and as of now the wall remained in place. He filled in the holes in floor with concrete and smoothed the surface.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:26 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,044

Ayuh,...... It could be an optical delusion,....

But it looks the the entire area in the picture, pitches right into the problem wall,......

Until you get rid of the water, there's no way to "Fix" anything,......
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:07 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 844

That stair step pattern is many times an indication the footing has moved , which means an expensive fix.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:44 PM   #9
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
That stair step pattern is many times an indication the footing has moved , which means an expensive fix.
^^As the crow flies, or in this case Canary

You said its moved in 3-4 inches? Or the corner moved out? Looks more like 3/4" in the pic? Any rafter ties/celing joists been cut?
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement