Galvanized Pipes Into Concrete - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 132

Galvanized Pipes into Concrete

Hi folks!
I'm building a structure that involves sinking some 3 inch sch40 galvanized piping into some concrete columns. Very similar to what a lot of folks do with fencing posts.

I'm not sure if its valid or not, but I read somewhere that concrete and galvanized piping react with each other and cause corrosion. Is this true and if it is true, is there something I can do to prevent it like a coating on the pipe or something?

This isn't my picture but this is very similar to what I am doing:

Thanks!
Shopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,130

Re: Galvanized Pipes into Concrete

At one time in history galvanized coatings were applied with a hot dip method but in more recent history that coating has been watered down so to speak by electroplating. So what may have lasted 40 years may now be only 10 but information on your question is sketchy.

Blackjack roofing coatings has a web site so a person may be able to get an answer from them about the compatibility of their coating products with galvanized and and I'm certain it's compatible with concrete.

That coating below grade may add several more years to the life and also there is a 4" wide black tape that's used for pipe protection.

At my age it wouldn't make a dam but we like to do our very best.

https://blackjackcoatings.com/produc...er-roof-cement
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,344

For what it's worth, earlier today I pulled a galvanized gate post up that was set in concrete and had the top of the pipe filled with concrete. I don't know how long ago that post was set. I know the gate and fence have been gone for 25 yrs. It had some surface rust but not all over. That pipe appears to be as solid as the day it was installed.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8,952

Pulled a galvanized steel cloth-line post, set in concrete a couple of months ago (during some renovations). It must have been put in when the house was new, about 1960. I broke off the concrete and the post is like new. Same post is going back, into new concrete, as soon as I figure the new dirt has mostly finished settling.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,042

As a previous poster said, they used to be hot dipped, but are now electroplated, the posts you guy's pulled up are probably the old hot dipped, if it were mine i'd put a sleeve of plastic pipe in before putting the galvanized pipe in.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,952

If its ASTM A53, A123, or A153, its hot dipped.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
Shopguy (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

Galvanized steel does not do well with being constantly wet. The ground is moist, concrete is porous, so your chances of rusting increase.

I also did a google search and some people claim that during curing, the concrete has a very high pH which can cause problems. But after curing, the concrete itself does no harm to the steel.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
If its ASTM A53, A123, or A153, its hot dipped.
It says ASTM A53 on the pipe!

Thank you very much for this information...

I'm wondering if I should add a bit of extra protection... maybe a coat of that rustoleum cold galvanized spray paint?
Old 06-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #9

UPDATE:
Well, as stated above, my ASTM A53 pipe is hot dip galvanized so it should be fine in the concrete. That said, I'm going to buy a few cans of the rust oleum cold galvanizing spray paint compound (93% zinc) and give the area of the pipe that will be in the concrete a few extra coats of paint just for added protection.

I think I would have much rather just coating the entire thing with roofing compound (tar) but somehow that seems like it might cause the pipe to come loose as the concrete might not hold firmly enough to the pipe with the coating on there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement