Foundation Vent Question - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JIMMIEM
  • 1 Post By Bud9051

Old 05-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation vent question

Hey guys hopefully I'm posting in the right place, but a couple small questions about my foundation vents first off when I first purchased my home I noticed the vents were long in length and short in height well when I was recently in my crawl space I noticed that's not the case they're actually pretty much square so the vents from the outside are actually buried in dirt about halfway up! I'm guessing it is the reason they're all basically rotted out. My guess is they shouldn't be like this but my question is how do I go about fixing this? Do I do something similar to a basement window well? Just dig around it and install a barrier of sorts to keep soil and water from intruding again? And typically how are vents installed ? Are they usually mortared In? And if I get replacements is it safe to just secure them in with concrete screws driven right into the foundation?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
lp08ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 692

Re: Foundation vent question

I believe that the current building science thinking is that basement crawl spaces should not be vented to the outdoors and should be conditioned as part of the house.
bob22 and stadry like this.
JIMMIEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

I don't have a basement. It it just a crawl space under the house. if I have no vents how do I prevent possible moisture build up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 692

One solution does not fit all. Depends on location too. Crawlspace encapsulation is done by putting a moisture barrier on the floor and sealing it to the walls. This may or may not be a good solution for you. If this is done then it is recommended to introduce a source for drying the air.
JIMMIEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,698

we seal ALL the vents but 2,,, 1's left in place & the opposing vent's timer controlled,,, we like cross ventilation,,, for vapor barrier, we only use 90mm avail from emecole,,, seems as if the 'current thinking' changes every 5yrs
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
we seal ALL the vents but 2,,, 1's left in place & the opposing vent's timer controlled,,, we like cross ventilation,,, for vapor barrier, we only use 90mm avail from emecole,,, seems as if the 'current thinking' changes every 5yrs
With the little bit of research that I'm doing along with your replies that's what I'm finding that here in new york there's not a whole lot when it comes to crawl spaces and it gets a little gray. You mention vapor barrier let me ask once you lay it down how exactly do you secure it to the walls? A silicone glue? I think I may be giving my local building inspector a call and see what they have to say as well

Old 05-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,698

we generally use conc nails + a pvc termination strip OR p/t'd 1x2,,, silicone/pl doesn't seem to be permanent on the emecole vb
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,144

I recommend keeping at least one of possibly a dozen or more local termite control company phone numbers handy. One of those will inevitably be very happy to receive your call. They may even be experienced in Mealybug, Slug and Salamander control in warm damp locations.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,658

One aspect to consider when deciding to vent or not vent a crawlspace is the quality of the air you breathe. I don't have the reference but something in excess of half of the air you breathe inside your home comes from a basement or crawlspace. Now, that number will obviously vary with different homes but the reality is, a lot of air follows the natural flow of entering low and exiting high. As it passes through a crawlspace with a dirt floor it picks up soil gasses, moisture, and whatever may have been left by passing rodents and insects.

By encapsulating that space you gain the benefits of cleaner air and reduced heating costs (you are in a heating climate). With the walls insulated and that space heated you also gain nice warm floors. Some reading:
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...uld-be-illegal

Bud
lp08ss likes this.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
One aspect to consider when deciding to vent or not vent a crawlspace is the quality of the air you breathe. I don't have the reference but something in excess of half of the air you breathe inside your home comes from a basement or crawlspace. Now, that number will obviously vary with different homes but the reality is, a lot of air follows the natural flow of entering low and exiting high. As it passes through a crawlspace with a dirt floor it picks up soil gasses, moisture, and whatever may have been left by passing rodents and insects.

By encapsulating that space you gain the benefits of cleaner air and reduced heating costs (you are in a heating climate). With the walls insulated and that space heated you also gain nice warm floors. Some reading:
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...uld-be-illegal

Bud
Bud you always seem to give me the best info! Just read through the article. Pretty convincing points made! Will definitely out some of that into my consideration!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement