Fixing Spalling/chipping Handrail Ledge - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Fixing spalling/chipping handrail ledge

The surface of the ledge has likely been slowly withering away for years ... looking at the handrail, it may have started with the handrail rusting and slowly disintegrating the top surface near it and spreading (just my guess).

I started chipping off the top 1/4th inch of concrete and I don't see any rebar exposed. What I'd like to know is if it's possible to patch the top with about 1/2 inch of concrete to fix the issue (the handrail, I plan on using corroseal to convert the rust and paint it black again)? The handrail is still very sturdy in the 2 or 3 other sections attached to the concrete.

If I can just patch it with with an extra 1/2 inch, do I necessarily need to build up a complete form for it? There's really nothing to attach or screw a 3 sided rectangular form to it and the stairs on one side would make it very difficult to get it properly secured/stood up. I was thinking of just putting a proper piece of wood on the side away from the stairs and using that to patch against.
Attached Thumbnails
Fixing spalling/chipping handrail ledge-ledge-20170622_081621.jpg   Fixing spalling/chipping handrail ledge-ledge-20170622_081644.jpg   Fixing spalling/chipping handrail ledge-ledge-20170622_081628.png  
pl7214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2017, 01:55 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,972

Re: Fixing spalling/chipping handrail ledge

Rebar, if you have any would or should be 2 inches from the surface because when they rust they can grow to about 6 times the original size and destroy the concrete.

That is what started the problem with the surface you have now, it stated where your railing came out of the concrete.

Yours should really be dug out and attached with a different method but I am not sure how you would get it out.

You might try wood working clamps to hold wood on both sides for a form. There are specialty products for top coating like that.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement