Exposed Aggregate Driveway - Worn Badly - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 05-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 764

Exposed Aggregate Driveway - Worn Badly

Our driveway is original to the house, which puts it about 35 years old. We are wanting to move within the next two years and have maxed out our investment in other home upgrades, so I do NOT want the huge expense of replacing the entire driveway because it will be a loss to us. The concrete between the aggregate has worn down enough from years of pressure washing to where I can barely walk across the driveway without shoes because of the sharp edges and points of the heavily exposed aggregate. I do not care about the cracks.

So, here's my question... can I get a concrete company to come in and skim coat the surface with new concrete (I'm thinking some sort of epoxy based skim) and then re-brush to maintain the aggregate exposure, and end up with a surface durable enough to last another 3-4 years?

It seems to me like the residual skim would be below the surface of the aggregate and not be exposed as heavily to vehicle traffic for spalling/chipping back off again. I may be wrong, and that's why I'm asking here.

The picture below is one I snapped off the internet, but is quite similar to our driveway EXCEPT our aggregate concentration on the surface is slightly more sparse and the worn concrete depth is a little greater than what you see in the picture.

Thanks ahead of time for your insights and expertise.
Attached Thumbnails
Exposed Aggregate Driveway - Worn Badly-worn-driveway.jpg  

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,016

Re: Exposed Aggregate Driveway - Worn Badly

I would think just a squeegee finish would do what you want,
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #3

That's sort of what I was thinking, but I also would like to the aggregate to still "peak through" and be visible when the job is finished, and not be completely covered with cement. In other words, I want to maintain the exposed aggregate appearance.

Does that make sense?
Nealtw likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #4

No additional insights or suggestions or words of wisdom from anyone else?

Old 05-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,347

Mill the surface flat?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Mill the surface flat?
I've thought about that as well, and am not opposed to the concept, but I'm really not sure it could be done well because our driveway is not flat -- it has a rounded convex hump coming in from the street which transitions into a concave curved surface sloping downward to the outside of the garage doors. I might just get a contractor to verify that, though, because it is one potential solution.

Thinking through it a little more... my other potential concern is the question of just how much of the aggregate would be left intact once the surface grinding was completed.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
That's sort of what I was thinking, but I also would like to the aggregate to still "peak through" and be visible when the job is finished, and not be completely covered with cement. In other words, I want to maintain the exposed aggregate appearance.

Does that make sense?
Toward the end of this he is talking about the retarder used to get the sand or exposed finish. After you know more about the procedure you might talk to the product producers to see if they have suggestions.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:42 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,036

apply polymer-modified cementitious overlay mtl w/broom - may require 2 layers till you get your desired look,,, we color the o'lay as most mtls are white,,, you can get pigment from any sher-wms store (latex)
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
apply polymer-modified cementitious overlay mtl w/broom - may require 2 layers till you get your desired look,,, we color the o'lay as most mtls are white,,, you can get pigment from any sher-wms store (latex)
I do not want the existing aggregate covered over with any colored topping.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #10

please reread as i only post'd material - how you apply it is up to you,,, EVERYTHING has color - even YOUR existing driveway AND aggregate whether you agree or not,,, more'n likely your d/w conc mix design includ'd GRAY portland cement,,, you can find just-add-wtr polymer-mod'd o'lay mtl at apron/vest stores but it TOO is gray
Old 05-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #11
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
please reread as i only post'd material - how you apply it is up to you,,, EVERYTHING has color - even YOUR existing driveway AND aggregate whether you agree or not,,, more'n likely your d/w conc mix design includ'd GRAY portland cement,,, you can find just-add-wtr polymer-mod'd o'lay mtl at apron/vest stores but it TOO is gray

He is not hung up on colour, he would like to do it so the top of the aggregate is still exposed. Would he be able to wipe ,brush or hose off the very top at some point in the process.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #12

have no idea how fast op'd become proficient,,, that's how we do it,,, o'lay mtls're demonstrated on u-tube,,, we have 1 3man crew just doing this item all season long,,, their equip = 4k psi 4gpm press wshr w/turbo nozzle, wtr hoses, backpack blower, 1/2" mixing drill, squeegee's, & brooms
Nealtw likes this.

Last edited by stadry; 05-08-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #13

Thanks for the extra info stadry. Neal is right, though, I don;t care about the color... just having the aggregate "peak through" and shows it's own natural colors once the job is done. Have you guys done this before on an exposed aggregate surface and still end up with the natural aggregate color showing through?

The final appearance I'm hoping to obtain is what the driveway looked like about 25 years ago (not brand new, just with much less concrete material being worn or pressure washed from between the surface aggregate. Does that make sense?

Old 05-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #14

Thanks for the extra info stadry. Neal is right, though, it isn't the color which worries me... it's just that I don't want the aggregate to be "painted" so that its natural colors "peak through" once the job is done.

Have you guys done this before on an exposed aggregate surface and still end up with the natural aggregate color showing through?

The final appearance I want is what the driveway looked like about 25 years ago (not brand new, just with much less concrete material being worn or pressure washed from between the surface aggregate. Does that make sense?

Old 05-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #15
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Thanks for the extra info stadry. Neal is right, though, it isn't the color which worries me... it's just that I don't want the aggregate to be "painted" so that its natural colors "peak through" once the job is done.

Have you guys done this before on an exposed aggregate surface and still end up with the natural aggregate color showing through?

The final appearance I want is what the driveway looked like about 25 years ago (not brand new, just with much less concrete material being worn or pressure washed from between the surface aggregate. Does that make sense?
Make some frames and do some samples make it an inch thick pat the pea gravel in so it looks like the driveway and wait a couple days and squeegee a layer on top and see how, what works to get what you are after.
stadry likes this.
Advertisement