Epoxy Coatings For Concrete Garage Floor - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Porsche986S

Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
Licensed Engineer

Rewards Points: 467

Epoxy Coatings for Concrete Garage Floor

We have use the Big Box Store garage floor paint kits 3 or 4 times for the floor slab in our 40 year old home. The good areas of the floor continue to look good, the bad areas continue to degrade over time.

We got too involved with doing stuff for other family members over the past 6 years or so and didn't re-coat the floor after 3-4 years as we should have. Now the garage floor is absolutely horrible! I actually think the floor paint kits contribute to the problem by allow winter time snow/ice/salt melt to seep beneath the paint through any nearly microscopic fractures in the paint surface.

So, decision time.
  1. We can paint it again for about $100 by purchasing two kits from a Big Box Store knowing this will be a job we must to do every 2-3 years. A rental diamond grinder for prep work is probably needed too because ofthe floor's condition. I will also need to patch the worst of the spalled areas.
  2. We can D-I-Y the floor with UCoatIt products for about $600 plus the cost of renting a diamond grinder. The UCoatIt guys never visited our home so I am not 100% confident their kit includes everything necessary, or is the correct products for our problems.
  3. A GatorGuard Rep came out tonight. Their price for their Lifetime Guaranteed products, including all labor and equipment, is ~$4500. Yikes! I was expecting maybe half of that. I checked on-line price guides and their ~$11 price per square foot seems within range for the degree of floor damage they need to correct.
We are also in our early 60's, might live here another 20 years, and really don't want to do this too many more times.

Our decision to make, but any insights others can offer based on their own experiences?
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,672

Re: Epoxy Coatings for Concrete Garage Floor

I've never been too happy with the epoxy floor painting kits. Although they claim to hold up to "hot-tire" peeling, they still seem to peel up over time. They take lots of prep that has to be perfect. They do look good for a couple years. I've been looking into installing the rubberized floor mats that come in 12 foot wide sections. They look great and seem easy to install. Might be something to look into.
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 05:13 AM   #3
Licensed Engineer

Rewards Points: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
...... I've been looking into installing the rubberized floor mats that come in 12 foot wide sections. They look great and seem easy to install. Might be something to look into.
A mat is on our list of options to investigate further too. I am not a car collector, I don't use my garage for social gatherings, the cost of the full Commercial Epoxy Install seems just far too much for our needs.

We will still need to do some patching of the heavily spalled spots. But first I need to have a small area slab lifting performed.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 488

Generally the floor kits you buy from the big box stores is not the greatest quality they are produced to hit a price point ( cheap ) . Then add to that generally poor preparation by the DIYer and it's a recipe for failure . It sounds like your current floor finish falls into this category as it is failing . A pro outfit " should " do a great job with the prep and the product they put down will have a LOT more solids in it and be a stronger epoxy . The pro only makes money IF they don't have to come back to do warranty work .

Having said all that you can go to a real paint store and purchase a much better grade of floor paint than a box store . But you will have the task of cleaning up the mess that you have now AND any floor repairs . If I was in your shoes I would strongly consider the roll out vinyl floors . Easy to roll out and position and you are done . They are far from perfect they can move , they can " bunch up " when moving something heavy across them and if exposed to sun light can move/ripple . But very cost effective .
stadry likes this.
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,148

sher-wms has a great product (armorseal) however if you don't prep the work correctly, you're better served buying wtr-based stuff from apron/vest stores,,, i have a friend who rolled down an epoxy coating & annually has to recoat,,, he doesn't grind - he doesn't do dick for prep other than broom,,, then complains annually also

Last edited by stadry; 05-02-2019 at 06:42 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement