Does My Contractor Need To Dig Down To Clay? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Does my contractor need to dig down to clay?

Hi guys,

I've hired a concrete contractor to pour sidewalk down the side of my house. It's a new house - 8 months old. I was concerned with the backfill soil subsiding.

Due to the height of where he is pouring he said instead of digging down, that he would dump a lot of aggregate on top of the dirt and pour concrete on top of that.

I thought you had to dig down to clay then aggregate? Is he being lazy or is it OK to just put aggregate down on top of our existing dirty. He's brought a good 12-16 inches of aggregate stuff and spread it out.

Thanks.
Underworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 458

Re: Does my contractor need to dig down to clay?

You need to get rid of all organic soil, first off. If there's topsoil under the gravel, it really should have come out before the gravel was placed.

If the sidewalk is placed over backfill, it probably doesn't matter what kind of soil is under it, as it's going to settle sooner than later anyways and need to be replaced.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Does my contractor need to dig down to clay?

How do you know there is clay underneath the topsoil? Soft clay is a poor material to support a sidewalk, hard clay is OK.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
concrete , soil