Diamond Blade On Dremel To Cut Mosaic Tile - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Diamond blade on dremel to cut mosaic tile

I have what should be a very simple project that I am trying to do without my husband finding out until it is finished. I am planning on taking smooth finished, clear pine boards 1X5", covering them with mosaic tiles to make a frame around our suspended hearth. Because I won't be needing to do much cutting, other than on the ends, I purchased a diamond blade for my Dremel, which cuts through the glass and stone very easily. The problem I am having is I cannot seem to get a clean, straight cut all the way through the glass pieces, they come out almost wavy.

Should I be using the blade to score the mosaic part way, then snap it? And, do I need to use any kind of water or oil to cut it or just cut through it dry. I am using varied length glass, and ceramic stone mosaic attached to a web backing if that matters.

I'm kind of thinking at this point that maybe I should just buy the peel and stick tiles
Shelbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Re: Diamond blade on dremel to cut mosaic tile

why not (have somebody) rip you boards width down
to accept the width of tiles instead of cutting every tile?

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,774

Hi Shelbie,
I have a small diamond blade for my Dremel and do love it, but depth and a straight line would be difficult. A larger diameter blade would handle the cuts better, circular saw or rotozip come to mind.

Just did a search and saw a 3" diameter diamond disk for a Dremel. May need a different mandrel for it. Not sure if you have this or the 1" disk.
https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-SM540-..._&dpSrc=detail

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,042

You can't get a straight cut because your trying to move the tool through the tile, you need to mount the tool in a stationary position, and move the tile through the stationary blade, like you would on a table saw.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18,236

#1, Laying tile over wood like that is not going to work for several reasons.
Wood expands and contracts, tile does not so the thinset bond will come loose.
Trying to use the wrong tool for the job, if you only have a few cuts to make a cheap cutter like this would work far better.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-1...xoCmXoQAvD_BwE
Old 02-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #6

Joe, my plan was to use musselbound double sided adhesive mat to adhere the mosaic to the wood frame then grout over the top. Will this not work? This is my first time trying to do something like this, I have never worked with tile before. We purchased this house 6 yrs ago and I am tired of looking at the unfinished surround on this fireplace. When we purchased this place they had a simple wood, walnut frame on it that my husband promptly took off to make a new one, now six yrs later it is still unfinished and ugly. Should I just go back to that and forget the tile? I really have my heart set on making a nice looking frame to surprise my husband.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,520

glass mosaic tiles over pine boards would not work. The tiles would eventually fall off or the grout would crack all over. You need a proper substrate under those tiles.
miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:03 PM   #8

Well, it is starting to sound to me that maybe I should scrap my idea and go the simple route.....Smart tile, or something similar. May not look as nice, but definitely better than what I have now! I really need to do something that can be completed in a few hours while my husband is not home. Cutting cement backerboard, attaching to frame, applying mortar, cutting tiles to fit, sealing, grouting then resealing would take several days which I don't have. Oh well😏 Thanks everone for enlightening me and helping me not make a huge mistake that I would regret later. Really appreciate all the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement