Cracked Connection; CMU To Poured - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bondo

Old 03-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Cracked Connection; CMU to Poured

I have a very interesting situation in my basement. Where the steps leading up to the first floor from the basement were installed, they ended poured foundation short. They installed CMU to create the walls on either side of the steps and complete the foundation. The issue I have is the butt joint at the CMU and the poured foundation cracked. The former owner made surface repairs but nothing substantial. I started to V groove the crack when the mortar totally cracked out. I'm able to see inside the wall and I can see they didnt use end block and didnt fill the hollow between the CMU and the poured foundation. The only thing holding the CMU to the poured foundation was a 1/2" thick by 1" deep strip of mortar. I have two other locations in my basement with the same condition. What would be the best way to bond the CMU to the foundation and fill the crack. FYI - the I beam holding up the floor above rests on the CMU. The house was built in 1964 if that helps any.
Midwest Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 224

Re: Cracked Connection; CMU to Poured

Quote:
What would be the best way to bond the CMU to the foundation and fill the crack. FYI - the I beam holding up the floor above rests on the CMU. The house was built in 1964
Ayuh,.... If it's been stabil since 1964, I kinda doubt you really need to do anything,...

I'd probably just trowel some type S mortar into any visable holes, 'n call it a day,...
dalepres and Windows on Wash like this.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,810

short of installing tie bars, you can't do anything,,, even if you do install the bars, i wouldn't recommend it if its stable,,, to seal the open joint, pack in some closed cell backer rod & properly install a joint sealant
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

The foundation moved enough to open the joint 1/16" maybe. Over the past 4 years, our area has experienced some extreme weather like frost going down over 50", floods, drought, etc. The public works guys have been replacing drain lines and water mains all over the city so I know the ground has been moving a lot. I have a split level and the slab on grade sunk more than I'm comfortable with.

It may not make much difference except for my piece of mind but I think I'll crack out the top CMU so I can dump mortar in the gap between the slab and the CMU. This should have been filled from the beginning so I just will feel better having it done right. I'm not sure if spraying the existing concrete down with milk will help bond it better but its worth a try. The product isnt too expensive. Thoughts?
Midwest Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,185

The only thing you might do is seal the outside to prevent water penetration but without a basement, even that probably doesn't matter.
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement