Concrete Tree Bed Edging Beams - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Concrete Tree Bed Edging Beams

I have a bunch of fruit trees built up on mounds. Here in rainy south Florida you have to get the tree roots up out of the summer wet for the tree to survive. I have the beds built inside hexagons built from 2" x 8"s. The hexagons are 71" sides and about 12' major diameter. The deck screws are pulling out of the decaying wood and the joints are opening up. I was thinking about rebuilding with pressure treated 4" x 8" timbers, but thought I might consider similar sized DIY concrete beams. Each of the six hexagon corners sit on a brick so the edges of the sides do not sit on top of the soil. A beam would have to tolerate it's own weight being suspended between it's edges as well as the pressure of the bed soil pushing out.

Would a DIY 4" x 8" concrete beam work as described above or would a different dimension be better? How much rebar of what size would be needed? Would any type of pre-stressing be needed? How would you connect the sides, I was thinking about a half-lap style joint.
dshcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,042

Re: Concrete Tree Bed Edging Beams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshcs View Post
I have a bunch of fruit trees built up on mounds. Here in rainy south Florida you have to get the tree roots up out of the summer wet for the tree to survive. I have the beds built inside hexagons built from 2" x 8"s. The hexagons are 71" sides and about 12' major diameter. The deck screws are pulling out of the decaying wood and the joints are opening up. I was thinking about rebuilding with pressure treated 4" x 8" timbers, but thought I might consider similar sized DIY concrete beams. Each of the six hexagon corners sit on a brick so the edges of the sides do not sit on top of the soil. A beam would have to tolerate it's own weight being suspended between it's edges as well as the pressure of the bed soil pushing out.

Would a DIY 4" x 8" concrete beam work as described above or would a different dimension be better? How much rebar of what size would be needed? Would any type of pre-stressing be needed? How would you connect the sides, I was thinking about a half-lap style joint.

I'd go with the pressure treated, and seal the cut ends with paraffin before putting them together.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,956

Re: Concrete Tree Bed Edging Beams

Why don't you also look at those interlocking precast concrete blocks from the home center? There are some that are curved.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
beam , concrete , rebar , stress