Concrete Sealer Issue - Ugly Lines - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By Canarywood1

Old 05-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Concrete Sealer Issue - Ugly Lines

Hello,

We had the skirt of a driveway redone last year and it looks horrible. The contractor that helped said the dark lines you see in the picture below were from the sealant. He explained that the lines would fade as the sealant sets in. Here we are 1.5 years later and the lines are still prevalent and atrocious.

A couple months after the concrete was poured I noticed the lines were not fading. I called back to learn the number is disconnected. It looks like the concrete contractor went out of business. I can see why.

How can I fix this? Are the lines I see indeed a poor sealing job? Is there any way to strip the seal and reseal? Could I apply a pigmented sealant from sherwin-williams over (someone suggested this to me)?

Please help!!!!!
Dimerien is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

Re: Concrete Sealer Issue - Ugly Lines

https://imgur.com/BguoURq

*Edit: I'm having issues with the imgur link! It is safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 04:43 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,040

It looks like the sealer was applied unevenly. I assume he used a pump up garden sprayer - nothing wrong with that if used correctly. I'd be leery of using a pigmented concrete stain mainly because it will wear away over time and need to be recoated.
JBoot likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
Dimerien (05-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 74

Looks like your contractor had a sprayer tip with a partially clogged orifice, resulting in an uneven spray pattern; had inconsistent sprayer pressure that varied the sealer delivery (created drips and sputters); and had an uneven application motion that resulted in overlaps and voids. This was probably due to inexperience, apathy, or the urgent need to get to the little brown bottles!

Correcting or doctoring this mess may be possible—and it will be a PITA –AND you could make it look even worse! There are several ways to “remove” concrete sealer: mechanically, which consists of grinding, blasting or sanding the coating off the surface or chemically, using a chemical stripper to remove the coating—then reseal—correctly!

It would be nice to know if the sealer was solvent or water based. Did you notice what “brand” sealer the contractor used (any empty cans or photos of the application)?
JBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBoot For This Useful Post:
Dimerien (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoot View Post
Looks like your contractor had a sprayer tip with a partially clogged orifice, resulting in an uneven spray pattern; had inconsistent sprayer pressure that varied the sealer delivery (created drips and sputters); and had an uneven application motion that resulted in overlaps and voids. This was probably due to inexperience, apathy, or the urgent need to get to the little brown bottles!

Correcting or doctoring this mess may be possible—and it will be a PITA –AND you could make it look even worse! There are several ways to “remove” concrete sealer: mechanically, which consists of grinding, blasting or sanding the coating off the surface or chemically, using a chemical stripper to remove the coating—then reseal—correctly!

It would be nice to know if the sealer was solvent or water based. Did you notice what “brand” sealer the contractor used (any empty cans or photos of the application)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
It looks like the sealer was applied unevenly. I assume he used a pump up garden sprayer - nothing wrong with that if used correctly. I'd be leery of using a pigmented concrete stain mainly because it will wear away over time and need to be recoated.
I don't know if the sealer was solvent or water-based. I'm assuming it was solvent-based as it hasn't faded at all. Do you know of any resources that will help me fix the uneveness of the sealer? I called two concrete contractors and neither offered to help me. One contractor recommended covering it with a pigmented sealer myself. Any suggestions or any "first steps" I should take? What would you do if you were in this situation?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 888

How long after the concrete was poured did he apply the sealer?
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,942

B]IF solvent sealer, rolling on a coat or 2 of xylene may help,,, on bigger jobs (over 1k sf), we spray & backroll,,, on smaller jobs we use 18" rollers,,, easy test for wtr/solvent is wiping on xylene & see what happens[/B]
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 662

Most sealers penetrates the concrete, it's not just on the surface.

Therefore to get rid of it you need to remove the surface layer of the concrete.

Grinding will make it smooth, not good in an exterior application such as yours.

Perhaps media blast the surface and then re-seal would be an option.
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #9

know it looks like **** for now & its likely it'll look like that for some time more,,, if sealer lasted, we wouldn't reseal our decorative work annually. IF you diamond grind (even w/zec carborundum wheel) or sandblast w/whatever media (sand, corncobs, talc, glass beads, etc), it'll look much worse.
grinding won't make it smooth (define smooth) BUT it will change/remove broom finish & result in a different texture

i may be the only 1 here who does this work for a living
Old 05-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #10

First you need to know if it's water or solvent based, pour a little xylene on an area you know has sealer on it, wait 20/30 seconds and touch with a finger, if it feels tacky then it's solvent based, if not it's water based, remove accordingly, or call stadry.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #11

what a FANTASTIC idea, woody,,, WOW ! ! ! wish i'd thought of that ! ! !
hey, guess what ? bride's got us booked into the villages for a 4d looksee,,, think she's getting serious about retirement,,, i'm going to go eat my gun
Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #12

I think they may still get snow that far north, wait til you see all the old folks there.
stadry likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 AM   #13
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryMac View Post
Most sealers penetrates the concrete, it's not just on the surface.

Therefore to get rid of it you need to remove the surface layer of the concrete.

Grinding will make it smooth, not good in an exterior application such as yours.

Perhaps media blast the surface and then re-seal would be an option.

I don't know as much about concrete sealers as I do other coatings but if the Xylene will 'melt' the dried coating it can be scrubbed and redistributed enough to even it out. Once the look is fixed, the old sealer won't be as good as it was so you'd want to apply another coat ..... or not.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 662

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
...i may be the only 1 here who does this work for a living
Is doing something for a living a pre-requisite for posting here? I must have missed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
grinding won't make it smooth (define smooth)
Smooth in this case is smoother than the current "non ground" concrete surface.

and a question for you stadry? Why are you yelling?
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
I don't know as much about concrete sealers as I do other coatings but if the Xylene will 'melt' the dried coating it can be scrubbed and redistributed enough to even it out. Once the look is fixed, the old sealer won't be as good as it was so you'd want to apply another coat ..... or not.

Your right Mark, xylene will return it to a liquid state and it can be redistributed to a better state than it is now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement