DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Concrete sealer failed..Why? And what to do now?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Canarywood1 
#1 ·
Hi,
The short version: A couple of weeks ago we noticed hazy stripes running down our sealed concrete drive. It doesn't repel water and even stays wet longer than our neighbor's drives.

The long version/Background: We purchased the home from the builder in Nov 2016. (Drive was installed at least by Aug 2016). We had the drive's joints caulked and the concrete sealed by a local company in early Nov 2017. We recently noticed some small cracks in the drive forming as well as a lumpy appearance (drive looks like it has cellulite lol). And there are some areas that appear to be pitting. I did a water test and noticed it wasn't repelling water. We had a rain that evening and I noticed long hazy stripes running along the drive. I remember seeing the drive repel water some time shortly after the sealer application. So I believed we were good to go.

I contacted the company and the owner says he's never had this happen before. He's contacting his supplier. He says the the lumpiness/cracking can be due to other factors. I understand that. But like I said in the short version, our drive stays wet longer than neighbors after a rain. ( Our drives were done at the same time. Theirs is unsealed/ caulked...with lots of trucks, parties, and fire pits burned on it lol).

Is the sealer keeping water in the slab? Could it be contributing to the the changes in the concrete? Any advice on how to proceed with the company on this would be greatly appreciated! I just want to make sure things don't get worse! Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That condition is definitely caused by the sealer, many different kinds out there, so no way to tell what was used, of course the guy that applied it will never own up to it, and the distributer won't either, they will pass the buck to the co. that manufactured it, as to the concrete itself, that's on who ever poured the driveway, and the 1 year warranty is long gone, so unfortunately it's yours to deal with.

#3 ·
Thanks for replying Canarywood1. I appreciate it! Our builder didn't even offer a one year warranty. Told us to caulk and seal it. Just sucks that we have it done and our drive looks worse than the neighbor's next door who does nothing (poured same day by same co). Was thinking the sealer keeping the concrete wet might have contributed to changes in the concrete, but guess not. Thanks again for your help! Seems these problems show up when my spouse is deployed..he's better at "fixing" them. Wish me luck! And thanks again!

#6 ·
I don't understand what was supposed to be caulked, makes no sense to me, but if you want a fix ask the guy that did the seal job what he used, hopefully a water borne topical sealer, it can be removed with a muriatic acid wash i'll post a link, then sealed with a silane/siloxane penetrating sealer , and you will be done with it.

https://concretesealerreviews.com/how-to-remove-a-concrete-sealer/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.