Concrete Garage Floor - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Concrete garage floor

I just purchased an older home with a detached garage, the garage floor is uneven and sits a little below the level of the driveway which allows water to enter.
Can you put new concrete on top of old concrete? I want to level the floor and raise it a couple inches.
tn_popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,284

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_popo View Post
I just purchased an older home with a detached garage, the garage floor is uneven and sits a little below the level of the driveway which allows water to enter.
Can you put new concrete on top of old concrete? I want to level the floor and raise it a couple inches.
It's been done, some with success if the original was chipped but wouldn't that leave the bottom plate under water?
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #3

Only the entrance and one corner get any water as the driveway slopes up to the garage and the entrance is a touch lower than the driveway. The one corner is the only portion of the garage that the water pools in as it sits lower than the rest of the floor. It's not broken or cracked it just slightly slopes down in that corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,256

I'd be nailing pressure treated 2 X 4's along the bottoms of the walls, adding an expansion strip, a bonding agent to the floor, then do the pore.
Not a DIY job if you want this to come outright.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,204

If the old floor is cracked the new floor will likely crack in the same place. If the surface is just damaged then 2" should be fine.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,752

is this diy ? i dunno but, for you, unlikely to have great success,,, google 'whitetopping' - concrete bonded overlay - concrete unbonded overlay,,, then ask some better questions when you've had a chance to educate yourself,,, there's a cure for ignorance

re previous posts, conc doesn't care if its underwater or not otherwise we'd have something else holding up bridges, overpasses, & tunnels,,, bonding agents help when applied to a properly prepp'd surface,,, crks/jnts will reflect thru a bonded o'lay,,, an unbonded o'lay needs its own jnt pattern,,, 1 of these days i'll fix my own garage by raising elevation 3/8" in 1 corner & 1/4" in the other so wtr dripping off wet cars doesn't run under the sole plate,,, my bride thinks towels are just fine
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:49 AM   #7

This definitely won't be a DIY job, I'm simply trying to educate myself as to my options.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #8

how much of a drop ?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,432

If it's not much that you need.....self leveling concrete. Just make sure it's clean and you use the primer.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #10

uncertain what slc the poster's thinking of,,, some are suitable for a wearing course & others aren't

generally speaking, IF 1 uses polymer-modified mtls (i shall), success follows,,, some need primers, some don't,,, if you use apron/vest store mtls, success is a crap shoot impo
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
Canarywood1 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 420

Any reason why you just can't put a trench drain in where the drive meets the garage apron
ZTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement