Concrete Floor - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

concrete floor

hey everyone i have a concrete question. i have a building with a slab on grade foundation the surface of the slab is uneven and marred. the previous owner cut 3 inch groves into the concrete and bolted beams into them. he then built a wood floor about an inch over the slab using these beams as joists. the wood floor is badly damaged and im wondering if it is possible to remove the beams and pour a layer of concrete onto the slab and polish it to create a polished concrete floor. any advice would be great, do i need rebar or control joints? and what is the minimum thickness of the slab. will acrylic polymers help the concrete bond to the old? are there any problems with any of this that i have not foreseen? thanks for all the help.
colin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 862

It sounds like your idea should work but one determining factor is going to be how those beams he attached to the concrete end at the walls. Can you provide a picture? If the existing slab is in good shape except for not being level you maybe you would use a self-leveling compound.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,456

been thinking about this,,, obviously whatever you use to fill the voids will polish differently than the existing however there are polishable overlay materials easily avail love to see before & after pics
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,042

What will the minimum thickness of the new slab be???
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18

colin123,

Are you planning on removing everything on the floor including the bolted beams?

And you are are asking if there is a product you can pour over the whole mess, filling in the cuts, filling in the low spots, and leaving one solid, smooth, even surface?

As an extreme example, you could pour 6" of new concrete and all would be great but you want to do this with adding minimum overall thickness to the original poured floor.

Is the current finished floor level acceptable to you now? Not the look, condition, etc, but if all of the base boards, doors and appliances are set to this floor level, can you tolerate your ideally finished floor being the same?

Reads like you have an inch or more to work with. Maybe the question is:

How thin can I pour a layer of concrete (without rebar and aggregate) onto a cured slab and expect good adhesion between the two? I plan to polish the concrete as a final finish. If concrete the right product for this, what should I add to it to promote adhesion to the existing slab and be polishable?

Apologies colin123 if I misunderstood.
leojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,456

hate to rain on anyone's parade but, impo, its not diy work,,, thickness of polishable overlay material could be as thin as 1/8",,, mapei is 1 source there are many others w/proven track records,,, quik note - placing it isn't for the faint of heart NOR inexperienced..

' I plan to polish the concrete as a final finish. ' - you're buying this polishing work, right ? IF i were you, i'd ask the tech to also install the o'lay 1st,,, IF the right mtl is selected AND surface is prep'd right, you don't need any ' promote adhesion ' stuff having 1 guy do all the work is singular responsibility - i think its a good thing
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement