Concrete Block Wall Bowing (house Built Into Hill) - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Marson
  • 1 Post By stadry
  • 1 Post By stadry

Old 03-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Concrete block wall bowing (house built into hill)

Hi everyone. I am seeking help with the various options I may have to resolve my problem with bowing walls in my home that's built into a hillside. Should I consider excavation of the ground behind the home? I know that a French drain will help but I feel that no matter what I do, I will always have soil pressure on the home from outside. Any ideas?
jjldh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,168

Re: Concrete block wall bowing (house built into hill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjldh91 View Post
Hi everyone. I am seeking help with the various options I may have to resolve my problem with bowing walls in my home that's built into a hillside. Should I consider excavation of the ground behind the home? I know that a French drain will help but I feel that no matter what I do, I will always have soil pressure on the home from outside. Any ideas?
The problem is a foundation is not a retaining wall, if you have a pressure on the wall it will give, sometimes drainage can solve a problem but if the hill is less that stable you need more.

We here can talk about how to do things but you really need to have a geo tech engineer looking at it.
Nik333 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 248

Only recommendation is to call a structural and or geo tech
engineer so he can assess the situation and design an appropriate repair.
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 926

I've worked on a number of houses that had foundation repairs of block basement walls that were bowing. Basic procedure is to dig it up, push the wall into place with jacks, and then add rebar and corefill the block wall. You'll want to waterproof and add drainage while you're at it. It's a bit beyond the average DIYer.
landfillwizard likes this.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

Thank you all for the responses. Marson, are we talking about a $20,000+ job here?
jjldh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marson View Post
I've worked on a number of houses that had foundation repairs of block basement walls that were bowing. Basic procedure is to dig it up, push the wall into place with jacks, and then add rebar and corefill the block wall. You'll want to waterproof and add drainage while you're at it. It's a bit beyond the average DIYer.

That all changes when you say hill.Our foundations are concrete with more than some rebar in them and we have had to dig them out and put a retaining wall beside them.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjldh91 View Post
Thank you all for the responses. Marson, are we talking about a $20,000+ job here?

It's going to depend a lot on your local conditions and if there are even contractors around you doing the work. But where I was working (Duluth MN) the job went between 5 and 10 K. Probably closer to 10.

Duluth has a lot of old houses with block basements, failed drain tiles, wet clay soils, and deep frost, so foundation repair is common.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,052

problem caused by settling soil from original backfill,,, rather than backfill in compacted 'lifts', bldrs overfill thinking natural settling of disturbed soil will result in eventual compaction & positive grading,,, bood thinking but that never happens
as the loose backfill settles, it applies increasing lateral pressure,,, the original soil density can resist but not the cmu wall,,, cmu wall strength is compressive (hold up loads [house]), not flexural so they begin to implode (bow inward)
full-depth excavation is suggested as the best repair (down to the foundation, straighten the wall using jacks & beams bolted to the bsmnt floor, construct steel reinforced invisible wall pins,, waterproof the wall, & install proper drainage relief
'basement systems' is now selling their 'deadman' version - will probably delay problem long enough to sell w/o lawsuit if leaving soon
an alternative is steel i-beams in the bsmnt
landfillwizard likes this.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #9
retired framer

Anything you want to know about foundation failure, repair and water management watch this guys videos, Google, Hydro Armar

Last edited by Nealtw; 03-18-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,052

did an eval yesterday for a buyer who'd already had his pe inspect prior to making offer,,, lateral crk about 2' below grade in 8' cmu wall,,, pe spec'd carbon fiber straps 3' o/c,,, wall displacement is 1/4" on 4' level so its a good call for strengthening wall,,, bad call imo - over $9K,,, IF we were to install integral steel reinforced 12,000psi grouted wall pins, about 1/2,,, then again, i'm not a pe - only a contractor
i remember danny o'connor from yrs back in nj
Nealtw likes this.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement