Concrete Block To Tile? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Concrete Block to Tile?

I'm looking to build a riser for my wood stove and the requirements for the stove say it must be masonry/concrete. I can't have any wood in the riser as my stove has no bottom heat shield.

Currently the stove is sitting on tile over a concrete slab. I'm thinking of using 4"x8"x16" concrete block to build up the riser, then tile over that. I read that you can tile over tile if you sand it down, but is it okay to use concrete block over tile? If so, would thinset be enough or would I need a different type of mortar? Guessing this is an odd scenario. I don't want to break out the current tile on the floor if I don't have to.

I'm thinking it would be do-able but am not sure of the mortar to use.
lakeshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,814

Re: Concrete Block to Tile?

I would cut out the tile.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

I wouldn't be concerned about the block adhereing to the tile, especially if you set the bed in thinset. I would suggest setting wider block though, because 4" wide are extremely "tippy" and hard to work with and keep plumb, even for a pro.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks, I was thinking that thinset would hold it fine. I probably listed my dimensions poorly, the block is 8"x16", 4" thick. So it lays pretty flat in that regard.

My concern over taking out some tile is that I would have to replace a few in spots where I need about half a tile worth of coverage. I don't think I can get half of one out and make it look decent and I hate to dip into my spare tile supply because it was discontinued so what I have is all I can get. That's why I was thinking to go over it and not wreck any if possible.
lakeshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,266

Quote:
I wouldn't be concerned about the block adhereing to the tile, especially if you set the bed in thinset.
Ayuh,.... Agreed,.... Ya got gravity on yer side,...

Short of a major earthquake, it won't go anywhere,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
block , mortar , tile