Concrete Apron - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 09-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Concrete Apron

Hey guys, hope you can help me. I want to pour a concrete apron. The apron goes from the end of the driveway to the garage door/floor. When I demolished the apron, some of the garage floor broke off. The garage floor is a little short now, near the garage door. Do I need to form out a rectangle basically from the garage floor along the bottom of the door out a little bit pour that area then remove forms and place expansion joint and pour apron? I

Thank you.
LDRDolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,739

Re: Concrete Apron

Pics are you friends.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,940

The real pros will be along later to help you. But as just a hack and it were my project at my house, I would do it as in the sketch below.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 09-10-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregsoldtruck79 For This Useful Post:
LDRDolphins (09-14-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #5

Thank you Gregsoldtruck79! Curious your drawing is great ! What computer application did you use to make your drawing ?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #6

Thank you Gregsoldtruck79 ! Curious, what computer application did you use for your drawing ?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:14 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,940

As I look at my sketch again, I see that I made a mistake where the concrete meets the asphalt. I have it shown where the concrete goes under the asphalt to help support it. And the way I have it drawn, that would be a "shear" point most likely for the asphalt to break.

The pros will be along to help so I'll back out now. They may even recommend just cutting the bad front off of that garage concrete and then putting asphalt back in. However its designed and you do it, Good Luck on your project
Old 09-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #8

If I was building this, I'd first fix the slab. I would drill into the existing concrete there at the garage for some #4 rebars, 6" o/c, cutting off the bars about 2" short of the face of the stone veneer (so that the front of the slab is pretty much even with the door frame). Then I'd form up and pour concrete. After it's cured a week or so I'd remove the forms and put up cork or fiber expansion joint material on the new face of the slab. Then put down some wire fabric and pour the apron.

As mentioned above, you need to make sure there's positive drainage away from the garage. Not sure if your asphalt is higher than the slab, or lower.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #9

Thank you huesmann ! Asphalt is lower. Thank you again to everybody ! Question : I will most likely do the "all" the forms and pour and fix garage floor slab but have a real mason pour the apron (afraid of job looking too home ownerish) Where and what kind of concrete should I use for the repair of the garage floor ? I want the concrete to match have the same color as the concrete either coming from the concrete truck or mason's own mixer ?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #10

Sorry, good luck getting a color match. I wouldn't worry too much about matching the color between the slab repair and the apron. If you're really worried you could always epoxy coat everything LOL.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,312

from what i can see in the pics, when the door's closed, it matches the concrete edge line,,, IF it were me, i'd get a demo saw & diamond saw a straight line,,, making a proper repair's much more difficult when the repair's so thin.
another point - i'm not aware of any epoxy that's recommended for exterior use OR significant UV exposure
ixnay on rebar pins too,,, exterior conc's RARELY attached to a structure,,, just place isolation jnt mtl instead
bob22 and jomama45 like this.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #12

Ok, maybe I should not worry about color match of concrete repair and the apron. Kind of wanted it to look the same.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #13

Staydry I believe huesmann was talking about the repair of the garage floor slab in reference to rebar. The way I understand Huesmann, he was saying repair garage floor by using rebar and installing the rebar in old garage floor and pouring "repair" concrete extending it to the door frame of garage. Then once garage floor slab is repaired then the apron gets poured. I realize you guys are the experts !
Old 09-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #14

Actually, I've given it some more thought, and I have some more advice. It's hard to see in your pics, but what you want is for the door to be even with the floor, of course. You also want a small step from the garage finished floor, down to the apron, or rain running down the door will puddle at the bottom and come into your garage. It's not clear from your photo exactly where the rough edge of the slab is in relation to the door.

This is what I'd want to see. If you can get the step-down with what you have, that's great. If the garage slab needs to be repaired/extended to make this happen, then that's what you need to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete Apron-untitled.png  
Old 09-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #15
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 344

Like "stadry" mentioned, I'd sawa clean line directly under the garage door so the seam is out of site when the door is closed.

Then, dowel into garage floor, leaving dowels a few inches short of the face of the stone.

There's no good reason a competent concrete guy can't pour the two together, with a piece of 1/2" expansion material separating the two. It takes a little care to keep the expansion material straight, but it can be done......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement