Cement Sink With Pinholes - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By chandler48

Old 06-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

cement sink with pinholes

Hi all,
I made a sink.
The surface has a lot of pinholes and roughness. I am hoping to make some sort of slurry and fill it in. The person at HD recommended hydraulic water- stop cement.
It doesn't seem to be ideal, but I would like some input.
What do you all think?
Any good suggestions for slurries?
ESwierenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 936

Re: cement sink with pinholes

Hydraulic cement probably won't fill pin holes. If you are able to, polishing the surface with a flexible head random orbit sander using 2000 grit paper will work miracles. We do it on repairs to solid surface and it makes them almost disappear.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2017, 06:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,752

no surprise that if not trowel'd properly, you'll have roughness & pinholes,,, who's material did you use to cast the sink - 1 who specializes in polymer modified cements w/aggregates OR did you buy apron/vest store materials & watch some you tubers ?

i'm not trying to shame you but, in general, most apron/vest employees only know where most mtls are located by aisle,,, SOME stores carry cement-all / rapid set,,, IF you read the printed directions, you'll be miles ahead of the store staff

wet sanders can also help create slurry which will fill pinholes

Last edited by stadry; 06-08-2017 at 06:27 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 28

Thanks for the replies.
The sink was made by pouring into a mold. I used a cement mix with a polymer additive. I did vibrate it, but it's entirely possible I did not vibrate enough.

There are tiers on the inside of the sink so using an orbital sander on these will be tricky. I have a smaller sander that may work for the insides.
I am hoping to use a palm sander on the top surface of the sink, as I don't have an orbital sander.

I uploaded pictures to my album

Last edited by ESwierenga; 06-09-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: picture links didn't work
ESwierenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cement , pinholes , sink