Building Stucco Wall - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 131

Building stucco wall

I would like to build a stucco wall in my front yard and have few questions. The wall will be built on a flat lawn (not a retaining wall) and is simply for curb appeal. Something like the picture below.

I have seen lots of youtube videos and it seems everyone does things differently and I not sure what is the right way of doing it.

1) how wide and deep the foundation must be? I live in California thus no frost here. Some show the foundation must be 12" deep and 12" wider than the wall (6" on each side). Most walls I have seen, the grass is growing right to the wall. The foundation is the same width (i.e thickness) as the wall or the 6" excess in foundation is covered by the grass.

2) Do I need vertical steel bars?

3) Do we attach the decorative tiles to the wall before or after applying the stucco?

4) what is the foundation made of? Cement all the way? gravel at the bottom, then cement on top?

Thanks
-joe
Attached Thumbnails
Building stucco wall-img_4086.jpg  
jemhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 05:20 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 7,654

Re: Building stucco wall

The footer isn't just for frost heave. You need to be on undisturbed fill to insure that you aren't going to move the ground under the weight when you construct the wall.

It is much easier to overbuild it on the way in as compared to re-engineer it on the way out.

Where are the decorative tiles going? On the top as pictured?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,334

California has expansive soil....translation, if you don't do the footing right, the wall will eventually fall down.

The way they did my wall....

Dug a trench about 12" wide and about 2' deep.
Laid down a couple of #4 rebar's horz and some vert ones about every 2'.
Poured about a foot or so footing.
Once that was dry, thy starting laying blocks. The 1st layer was sitting on a good layer of mortar to make sure it was level. That 1st layer is pretty much below grade.
About half way up they ran a horz rebar....they make the blocks with a notch for the rebar.
At the top, another chunk of rebar
Then the filled the cavities with cement. Specifically the ones with rebar sticking up through them vertically.

Then caps

Then stucco.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
The footer isn't just for frost heave. You need to be on undisturbed fill to insure that you aren't going to move the ground under the weight when you construct the wall.

It is much easier to overbuild it on the way in as compared to re-engineer it on the way out.

Where are the decorative tiles going? On the top as pictured?
Thanks for your advice.

The decorative tiles goes on the vertical side of the wall. You can see a few on the picture (like on the 2 columns)
jemhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,686

just to be clear, stucco's a coating over a structural sub-strate,,, whether synthetic (dryvit) or traditional hard-coat, stucco isn't structural
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement