Building Concrete Counter Top Support And Thickness Questions - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 310

Building concrete counter top support and thickness questions

I plan on building a BBQ island in the backyard under a patio. I want to make a concrete counter-top with a small bar height top in front of it.

I plan on framing a 2x4" frame, then boxing everywhere I want to put tile or ledge stone with hardy board around the sides.

I plan on shaping and pouring the counter separately and then taking the cast off and installing as it shouldn't be too big to handle. Is this ideal or would it be better to plan on pouring in place on the framing? And how would you go about pouring on the frame?

I plan on using melamine, but am unsure how thick I should make the counter. Should I just make it the thickness of the 2x4" (3.5")? Or is this overkill?

Lastly, the bar height overhang. If I pour separately and then install, What method would I use to mount it onto the wood frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Building concrete counter top support and thickness questions-1.jpg   Building concrete counter top support and thickness questions-2.jpg   Building concrete counter top support and thickness questions-3.jpg  
bhollehday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 458

Re: Building concrete counter top support and thickness questions

You're going to need at least 2 brackets under the upper counter top, regardless of how you pour it............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
stadry (06-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 138

Re: Building concrete counter top support and thickness questions

I would concur with jomama above about needed brackets as illustrated.

In terms of anchoring, read this article. (Before seeing this, I've embedded stainless steel carriage bolts in a piece before, and that worked, but I think I like this better.)

With regards to thickness, that depends on what type of countertop system you are intending to build. I've used CHENG pre-cast products before, and they call for a minimum thickness of 1.5". I believe other pre-cast systems are similar. Given the overhang, I might be tempted to up that to 2" thick. I wouldn't do 3.5". it would be ridiculously heavy and waste materials. If I wanted it to look thicker for aesthetic reasons, I'd do a false edge.

Read this post on GFRC methods, that would allow thickness as thin as 3/4".
LanterDan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LanterDan For This Useful Post:
stadry (06-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement