Building A Chimney - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By limiteddi
  • 1 Post By Msradell
  • 1 Post By DoomsDave

Old 04-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Building a chimney

Need an advice and some insight on a wood burning fireplace.

I somehow missed the chimney foundation requirement for the fireplace probably because it was never in the drawings. Foundation and framing is complete and I can't wrap my head around on how to build/add the chimney. The weepers are already in place and covered with gravel. I can probably dig the area where I need the foundation to be poured by now I'm hearing from my brick guy that there should be a box built inside of the house as well and that installing it "flush" with the wall and have it supported by the foundation wall is not an option. It's a pretty tight area between the wall and neighbours fence so I would need some compact bracing to be done.

Can someone shed some light on what would be the best approach here? It doesn't look like there is an easy way out of this...
limiteddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,146

Re: Building a chimney

The city will have a limit how close the foundation can be to the property line, I would start there. If it wasn't on the plan you don't want to get ahead of yourself in that direction.
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 11:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The city will have a limit how close the foundation can be to the property line, I would start there. If it wasn't on the plan you don't want to get ahead of yourself in that direction.
I am within the allowed limit. We left extra space on the setbacks. Inspector is fine with 2.5 ft into the setback.
Nealtw likes this.
limiteddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,146

Quote:
Originally Posted by limiteddi View Post
I am within the allowed limit. We left extra space on the setbacks. Inspector is fine with 2.5 ft into the setback.
And that's about all I know, different designs have different requirement, we have only done the footing and foundation part so I don't know what is really the differences. Others should be along.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 980

To prevent problems in the future you will probably be better off talking to the structural engineer who did your house design. If it's not done correctly you may end up with cracking or possibly worse. It's better to spend a little money now than to have problems in the future.100
Nealtw likes this.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,118

If you are encroaching on the code required setback and the inspector has said ok, get it in writing as verbal will be long gone in future years. Seen it happen.

Bud
Old 04-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 950

Not sure what you're asking. The footing will be at the same depth of your basement with full height foundation walls. I've seen haunches done, but that's more difficult. It'll have to be drilled with rebars to the existing wall/footing. If you were thinking just frost-depth foundation, you don't want to put a masonry fireplace on backfill that settles.

You'll have to reroute the drain tile around it. Bore a hole for an ash dump cleanout if its going to be in the basement.

Not sure which "flush" side you were talking about, but the wall framing will need an opening to get the front of the box up to the wall. You'll also need some floor support for the hearth.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 9,106

@limiteddi , welcome!

Since you're in the process of building a fireplace, you have a golden opportunity to avoid problems caused by things like "back puffing" which is when smoke goes into the room because the flue and room opening aren't proportionally correct.

Most of the time, you're stuck with fixing the problem after the fact, but in your case there's some chance right now to make sure that things are proportioned properly to avoid trouble, like I had. https://www.diychatroom.com/f2/back-...eplace-649873/

Hope this helps.

https://www.csia.org/troubleshooting.html
Nealtw likes this.

Last edited by DoomsDave; 04-18-2019 at 01:24 PM.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement