DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Barn floor too slick?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  stadry 
#1 ·
We had a 24x36 barn/shop erected on our 1.5 acre lot. 1/3 shop (mine) 2/3s barn (hers). The floor slab was floated to a "garage" quality. And the wife had been moaning about the horses slipping on the concrete. Stuff and nonsense really but they're her babies.

What to do? I am suggesting an epoxy paint over the concrete. Opinions?

#2 ·
We had a 24x36 barn/shop erected on our 1.5 acre lot. 1/3 shop (mine) 2/3s barn (hers). The floor slab was floated to a "garage" quality. And the wife had been moaning about the horses slipping on the concrete. Stuff and nonsense really but they're her babies.

What to do? I am suggesting an epoxy paint over the concrete. Opinions?
With these she'll be parade ready.

#4 ·
You have 2 options so far, both are viable, another is to cover the concrete with wood planks, so the horses can grip it better.

Should have left the floor DIRT, that's what real horsemen do, in their barns.

Too late now, and covering it with straw, will get expensive quick, because all stables need cleaned out often, or gross things grow in there.

ED

Reactions: landfillwizard
#5 ·
I know your pain... My wife thinks just about everything is going to end up killing our (ok, her) horse. Just finishing building a much smaller shelter - about 12' x 12'.

I'm leaving mine dirt for now, then then probably switching to one of those gravel grid things if needed.

Since you already have concrete... I'm thinking the rubber mat might be best, although that's going to run you over $1,500 for a single sheet the size you need.

Maybe the stabilized gravel might work for you, if you are able to hose things out every now and then? Not much, if at all, cheaper unfortunately. https://www.landscapediscount.com/gravel-grid-s/1932.htm

#9 ·
Every horse owner has their own ideas what's best for their kids, but in my opinion rubber barn mats are the way to go. You don't need to cover the entire floor - we just did the stalls and down the centre of the 'shed row' (i.e. the common area in front of the stalls to/from the doors to outside). The ones we used were 4'x8' (ish, I don't really remember). We might have bought a few new but most of them were used, sourced from other owners/barns, etc. If nothing else, most horse communities are very connected.

Even better if you know somebody connected to the industrial conveyor belt world. We had a friend who was and got a ton of gently used very wide belting for very little.

Buy an extra for yourself as a stress mat for where you stand working at your tools.

#10 ·
Every horse owner has their own ideas what's best for their kids, but in my opinion rubber barn mats are the way to go. You don't need to cover the entire floor - we just did the stalls and down the centre of the 'shed row' (i.e. the common area in front of the stalls to/from the doors to outside). The ones we used were 4'x8' (ish, I don't really remember). We might have bought a few new but most of them were used, sourced from other owners/barns, etc. If nothing else, most horse communities are very connected.

Even better if you know somebody connected to the industrial conveyor belt world. We had a friend who was and got a ton of gently used very wide belting for very little.

Conveyer belt is most slippery with a little water, don't use it for horses.
The reconstituted mats are fine, they have a rough surface and are much less dense.
Buy an extra for yourself as a stress mat for where you stand working at your tools.
Conveyer belt is most slippery with a little water, don't use it for horses.
The reconstituted mats are fine, they have a rough surface and are much less dense.

#11 ·
Not sure where you are located but around here, Tractor Supply sells rubber stall mats for this very purpose. They usually go for about $35 for 4'x6'x3/4" thick. I bought them for a ball stop for the batting cage in my basement and to stand on when hitting. Works great. Very rubbery smelling for a while but the horse odors probably overpower their smell :)

Very heavy and heavy duty. They weight a little over 100 lbs each.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.