Attaching A Gate Post To Limestone Rock - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
Question

Attaching a gate post to limestone rock

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can give some advice on this.

I'm not much of a DIY person but I bought an old house a while ago, its got no electric hooked up to it....but I need to drill the holes in the limestone rock with my cordless drill.

First question is, will a impact drill do the job ?
Second question is, I understand a diamond drill bit is best for limestone, but I maybe missing something as the twist bits I find are small for jewellry and the bigger ones are designed for drilling straight through!

Anyway can anyone give some advice on how they would do this.

The plan is to put a gate between the 4 - 5 foot gap between the rocks, for privacy, it will be about 6 foot tall and open half/half.

Thanks in advance...
dennis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 7,786

Re: Attaching a gate post to limestone rock

Limestone is pretty soft. A cordless drill with a hammer function and a proper masonry bit should chew right through it.

Depending on what you are handing the gate from, I would be concerned with the load of the gate (depending on the weight) either pulling the stones looks or pulling the anchors loose.

Can you post up a picture of the area?

A proper masonry bit should do the trick as you need something with the proper tip to work with the hammer function.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,700

wash's right, limestone's soft compared to trap rock or granite,,, make it easy on your drill w/carbide-tipped drill bit,,, then lead drop-in's & lag screws to hold your gate in position,,, no matter how long the shank of the drill bit, you don't have to use it all
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #4

Thanks again...

Its an old wooden house in Croatia that really needs some work on it, the gate is for the back garden entrance that is needed because it is more of a weekend/holiday stay place and anyone can really access it as it is.

Anyway here is a picture of the area to show and my planned fence projection...I'm pretty sure its limestone rock, as the area is know for this type of rocks...I am just planning a simple gate, just to keep the border/stop trespassers and not something big/security type because of the old wood structure of the house.

please feel free to add any better suggestions and advice to what you already gave.

http://tinypic.com/a/axjwj4/2
Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,700

you'e going to hang this gate on what ? looks as if there's no existing column or wall but could be my monitor
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,504

He is trying to use the existing limestones on both sides to attach the gate hinges to so those limestones would be acting like posts.

It's going to be tough with the rock being so "irregularly" shaped.

The left side looks pretty straight though. You said the gap is only 4-5 foot wide, so why have two gates half and half, why not one bigger gate say 5' wide? I would still dig the ground and have a two feet deep hole to set a post, anchor with concrete mix, seems still easier to try to use the limerock which would involve building some braces and anchors and you don't have the right tools - impact drills won't do it you need a hammer drill with a masonry bit to drill holes and even a demo hammer if you are going to use larger diameter and length.

If it's a weekend thing and you don't care about getting something solid and permanent why not just string two cables across the top and bottom and hang a banner "NO TRESPASSING PRIVATE PROPERTY ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK VERY DANGEROUS DEAD ZONE" or something like that?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #7

Thanks everyone

Sorry maybe I didn't explain properly....but on the right side is a sloped shape limestone rock column and on the left is my wooden house .

I thought of having a half and half gate because thought a full 5 foot gate would be too much strain and weight on the rock and the house is about 100 yrs old so i wont attach it to the wood.

miamicuse you said..."If it's a weekend thing and you don't care about getting something solid and permanent why not just string two cables across the top and bottom and hang a banner "NO TRESPASSING PRIVATE PROPERTY ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK VERY DANGEROUS DEAD ZONE" or something like that? "...well, I'm not really that trusting because I am not here all the time and I just have a funny feeling about those dodgy looking villagers anyway...nah...in all seriously, I am a very private person and I noticed unusual happenings in the back garden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement