Asphalt Driveway Built Sept '18 - Already Showing Tire Depressions/indentations - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 06-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 400

Asphalt driveway built Sept '18 - Already showing tire depressions/indentations

We had a new asphalt driveway built from the ground up.

We had the stones put in April 2018 and had the same company built the asphalt driveway on top of it in September 2018 but there are signs of
the asphalt driveway showing the slightest of depressions and indentations
(long strips of 10 feet long where an SUV is parked a lot in the same exact spot day after day overnight).

I chose a contractor that was a little less money than competitors and I am worried that the guy did not install asphalt and rocks thick enough.

What should I do? Is this normal after 10 months already?

The depression /indentation is not noticeable at first, you just had to look closure and harder but it is there.

The rest of the driveway is perfect, including a spot were a 4 door sedan sits all night long.

Thoughts?
HTFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,954

Re: Asphalt driveway built Sept '18 - Already showing tire depressions/indentations

I agree, not enough rocks were used.

When you go with the cheaper guys they tend to use less (cheap out) stones then agreed upon. Should be at least 6-8 inches of stones put down as this is where the strength of the asphalt really lies. Asphalt on its own has no strength as evident in the sagging. So it can very easily be moved by frost or cars parking on it if not enough stones were used.

You can try parking the car in different spots, However, the same thing will eventually happen. As your asphalt doesn't have enough strength.

Your only recourse is trying to work something out with them. If no luck, go to bbb file a complaint against them. Sometimes they are more helpful when they see their name on the complaint not resolve list. BBB just basically shams the party into resolving the complaint by posting the contractor name on their website.

BBB can only file complaints they can not help you get compensation or force contractor to redo driveway. For that you would have to spend the bucks and retain a regular lawyer.

I hope you can work something out with them and they will redo it correctly the next time. Just my thoughts and opinions. I've been there to. Good luck to hkfreak.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,700

Re: Asphalt driveway built Sept '18 - Already showing tire depressions/indentations

Unfortunately the problem may be deeper than the gravel you/he installed. On one project the entire area had to be compacted and tested and certified by an engineering firm. Not that your driveway needed all of that, but in my case i had to remove 3 feet of soil deemed not suitable for compaction. That was a lot of gravel and compacting every 6" as filled. The results were great, but the message was, those results start from down under.

I'm not sure the contractor is responsible for the engineering step to test the soil. Typically they just do as you described and hope that is good.

Bud
landfillwizard likes this.
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,956

Anecdotal evidence but I had an asphalt driveway put in on a new house in 2001 and there were no tire marks on it when I sold the place in 2009.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,124

Quote:
(long strips of 10 feet long where an SUV is parked a lot in the same exact spot day after day overnight).
Ayuh,..... So don't park in the exact same spot every day, day in, 'n day out,.....

Move left/ right by a foot, or fore/ aft by a few feet,.....
Yodaman likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:11 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,036

you'll spread the static load by parking in a diff spot ea day so don't be surprised if the depressions spread,,, anything stresses pvmnt more when parked (static loads) vs rolling (dynamic loads)
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:18 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,700

I hate to suggest this, but you could upgrade the parking area to a concrete pad. In addition to handling the load the concrete is less vulnerable to and oil or gas that may leak.

Bud
Old 06-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,347

If your subgrade is crap, it doesn't matter how much stone and asphalt you lay down until you get into the "feet" range.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 928

And the same thing applies for concrete.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #10

Yes and no. It depends on the concrete thickness and reinforcement and the heterogeneity of the subgrade. If thin and none and low, then sure, you could get a depression (via cracking).
Old 06-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #11

If the subgrade or subbase is inadequate ,you will have failure of the concrete.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Yes and no. It depends on the concrete thickness and reinforcement and the heterogeneity of the subgrade. If thin and none and low, then sure, you could get a depression (via cracking).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
If the subgrade or subbase is inadequate ,you will have failure of the concrete.
Ayuh,..... I'm with Canarywood,......

Unless yer talkin' a Bridge Deck typa driveway,......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #13

Yes, but the failure would not necessarily be a depression. It could be a crack the entire way across the section.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,036

man, woody, it was hot in the villages ! i don't think if june's the month to test/visit
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #15

Yeah, looks like you picked the wrong year to test, this year has REALLY been a hot one, in the 90's every day for the last few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement